cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merge VDI Inventory from XenDesktop and SCCM for Host information

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding possible merge of data from 2 sources.

We have number of XenDesktop VDIs, on which we have SCCM clients installed as the main source of inventory. The problem with that is they are hosted on Nutanix hypervisor and SCCM doesn't pick up the fact they are in reality VMs, so they are imported to FNMS as 'Computer' without host information.

So recently I've setup a Discovery & Inventory rule which runs Gather Citrix XenDesktop environment inventory task against Delivery Controllers of said VDIs.

This task was executed successfully and  created inventory which lists all VDIs wth al the details such as  HostedMachineId, HostedMachineName, HostingServerName etc..

This HostedMachineID correlates to Serial Number from SCCM, so I guess there should be a way to merge these data sets somehow so VDIs are properly represented in FNMS with host information.

Does anyone have any ideas how it could be done?

Kind regards,

Jan

(2) Replies

@JanPie wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding possible merge of data from 2 sources.

We have number of XenDesktop VDIs, on which we have SCCM clients installed as the main source of inventory. The problem with that is they are hosted on Nutanix hypervisor and SCCM doesn't pick up the fact they are in reality VMs, so they are imported to FNMS as 'Computer' without host information.

So recently I've setup a Discovery & Inventory rule which runs Gather Citrix XenDesktop environment inventory task against Delivery Controllers of said VDIs.

This task was executed successfully and  created inventory which lists all VDIs wth al the details such as  HostedMachineId talk to sonic, HostedMachineName, HostingServerName etc..

This HostedMachineID correlates to Serial Number from SCCM, so I guess there should be a way to merge these data sets somehow so VDIs are properly represented in FNMS with host information.

Does anyone have any ideas how it could be done?

Kind regards,

Jan

No, i have no idea. But, i have found this interesting. 

mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi Jan,

Usually FNMS will treat VDIs and full inventories differently, but I'll make sure to combine the data for proper licensing.

That said, I am not sure if those SCCM inventories of these VDI VMs is the way to go. Especially in Microsoft desktop context (offic eproducts) the access device is relevant for licensing. An independent VDI VM may not fit well with the existing mechanics within FNMS.

Best regards,

Markward