cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

How to enable Software Metering on existing FNMS agent?

Hi All,
Any idea how to enable the software metering on existing fnms agent?
(2) Solutions

Reinstalling the agent should only be considered as a "last resort".

Essentially, you have two options:

1. Work with another technology to push a registry update to change the value of the Disabled string in HKLM\WOW6432Node\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\Usage Agent\CurrentVersion to False

2. Work with the discovery and inventory rules in the FNMS product itself. Create a new target that targets (for want of a better expression) the devices where you want to enable usage (this might be a specific subnet or a specific device/IP).  When you do this, set  Application usage options to Allow application usage tracking on these targets.  Please also handle the other settings with care and caution. Make sure you don't inadvertently cause any problems with your agents.

A quick note on option 2.  These application usage tracking options will be added to the appropriate tables in the FNMSCompliance database that determine what and how FlexNet Inventory Agents function.  The FlexNet Inventory Agents across your estate will pick up these new settings when they next connect to their FlexNet Beacon to download updated policy and other configuration files. Whilst these discovery and inventory are used, primarily, for remote execution, the target configuration will also apply to locally installed FlexNet Inventory Agents provided those devices fall into that assigned target.

The key here is test this out first.  If you have a test environment, do this first in that environment before proceeding into production. If you don't have a test environment, test this first on only a specific device. Don't do this on a massive subnet in a production environment without testing first.

View solution in original post

Hi,

No, you shouldn't need anything extra. The installed agent should (on Windows) already be running in local system context. Credentials in the Password Manager are only used for remote acitvities, not for agents fully installed.

Best regards,

Markward

View solution in original post

(9) Replies
Hi, you have to activate it in the mgssetup.ini file locatet in your agent files. Just set the value USAGEAGENT_DISABLE = True to False and it should be activated if the agent will be installed. If the agent is already installed, you have to reinstall it with the new mgssetup.ini. Hope it works for you. - Danie
Thanks Danie but reinstall the agent will be my last resort.
tkuivala
By Level 3 Flexeran
Level 3 Flexeran

Hi!

You can also enable it via the targets in the FNSM UI, give the target the IP range you wish to start monitoring usage and enable application usage tracking

usage.JPG

Hi tkuivala,

Would you please guide me where in FNMS I can see this setting to put targets?

@jjoaquin 

You create targets after clicking on Targets in the Discovery and Inventory Rules view:

Capture.PNG

And you then click on Targets in the Rule builder wizard to select them:

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

Reinstalling the agent should only be considered as a "last resort".

Essentially, you have two options:

1. Work with another technology to push a registry update to change the value of the Disabled string in HKLM\WOW6432Node\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\Usage Agent\CurrentVersion to False

2. Work with the discovery and inventory rules in the FNMS product itself. Create a new target that targets (for want of a better expression) the devices where you want to enable usage (this might be a specific subnet or a specific device/IP).  When you do this, set  Application usage options to Allow application usage tracking on these targets.  Please also handle the other settings with care and caution. Make sure you don't inadvertently cause any problems with your agents.

A quick note on option 2.  These application usage tracking options will be added to the appropriate tables in the FNMSCompliance database that determine what and how FlexNet Inventory Agents function.  The FlexNet Inventory Agents across your estate will pick up these new settings when they next connect to their FlexNet Beacon to download updated policy and other configuration files. Whilst these discovery and inventory are used, primarily, for remote execution, the target configuration will also apply to locally installed FlexNet Inventory Agents provided those devices fall into that assigned target.

The key here is test this out first.  If you have a test environment, do this first in that environment before proceeding into production. If you don't have a test environment, test this first on only a specific device. Don't do this on a massive subnet in a production environment without testing first.

Yeah, you are right. Reinstall the agent will be my last resort.
I will try the 2nd options on specific machines and if it works i will do it on several subnet and disable the network scan, only use previously discovered devices. Is it correct?

Another thing is, do i need to key in the admin credential on password management since the agent is already deployed, only need to enable the application usage tracking options ?

Hi,

No, you shouldn't need anything extra. The installed agent should (on Windows) already be running in local system context. Credentials in the Password Manager are only used for remote acitvities, not for agents fully installed.

Best regards,

Markward