Backup the App Portal Database
SummaryThe following steps can be taken to backup the App Portal database.
SynopsisTo restore App Portal to a previous state, a backup of the database is required. In general, it is considered a best practice to regularly back up the database. In addition, any major changes to the site/schema, like an upgrade for example, should also be reason to create a current backup.
To determine the location of the App Portal page in App Portal 2015+ (starting with v9.5.x.x), refer to the Site Management | Settings | General view. For earlier versions, the web.config within the App Portal Installation directory's \Web folder will contain the connection string.
1. Launch SQL Server Management Studio
2. Connect to the App Portal database server
3. In the Object Explorer, expand the first node, Databases
4. Select the App Portal database
5. Right-Click on the App Portal database
6. Go to Tasks and click on Back Up? to open the Back Up Database window
7. Under Destination group
a. Select existing entries and click Remove to remove them if necessary
b. Click Add to open the Select Backup Destination window
i. Set File Name to the location and name of the backup file as you desire
ii. Click OK
c. Confirm that the location and backup file name you just entered is listed
8. Click OK
9. On the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio popup window
a. Confirm that the backup completed successfully
b. Click OK to close the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and the Back Up Database windows
10. Open Windows Explorer
11. Browse to the location of the backup file
12. Confirm that the backup file exists
13. Close Windows Explorer