cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant Reminder Emails

Is there a way to suspend constant reminder emails to unknown addresses?

There have been some changes, and old requests pending approval in AppPortal, the users are no longer with the company. They no longer have active email addresses. 

AppPortal is constantly sending these reminders to an unknown address but we can't get it to stop. We have deleted the approvals from the requests and cancelled the request, but AppPortal is still sending these reminders emails over and over again. 

Any ideas? Have you encountered this issue before? Essentially, users leave a company, their email address is deleted, AppPortal doesnt know what to do after that, but constantly send over and over. 
(2) Replies

Check WD_ApprovalNotify and see if there is anything in there that needs to be cleaned out.  Unfortunately, they are stored based on ADGUID, so you'll have to join to WD_Profile in order to get something more meaningful.  Or if the AD account still exists, you could look up the AD GUID and match that against the WD_ApprovalNotify table.  I know there is some kind of background task for cleaning up old email history (older than 30 days by default), but I'm not sure what tables that touches (probably only WD_MailQueue).

Also, if there are emails in the outbound queue already that keep retrying (should only try 3 times by default), you can always go into Site Management > Logs > Email and select them and delete them (does the same thing as deleting them from the WD_MailQueue table directly).

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

I'm not finding anything in the tables that would indicate why the ESDService.log and ActiveDirectory.log are filling up with errors.  This started happening on the 29th.  In the EmailReminders.log we see "Send email to unknown" every minute.

Any other suggestions on what might be causing this?  This is the error we see in the logs - I redacted our mailhost name.

ESDService.log

Error Encountered: Error sending notification email to server <our mailhost>; Source: System; Message: The specified string is not in the form required for an e-mail address.; Inner Exception: ; Stack: at System.Net.Mail.MailAddressParser.ReadCfwsAndThrowIfIncomplete(String data, Int32 index)
at System.Net.Mail.MailAddressParser.ParseDomain(String data, Int32& index)
at System.Net.Mail.MailAddressParser.ParseAddress(String data, Boolean expectMultipleAddresses, Int32& index)
at System.Net.Mail.MailAddressParser.ParseMultipleAddresses(String data)
at System.Net.Mail.MailAddressCollection.ParseValue(String addresses)
at System.Net.Mail.MailAddressCollection.Add(String addresses)
at ESDService.EmailServices.BuildReminderEmail(Int32 NotificationID)

ActiveDirectory.log

Error getting DN using GUID: rejected from path GC://<our network path>/<GUID=rejected> An invalid dn syntax has been specified.
at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection.PopulateList()
at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyValueCollection..ctor(DirectoryEntry entry, String propertyName)
at System.DirectoryServices.PropertyCollection.get_Item(String propertyName)
at SelfService.ActiveDirectoryAppCodeRepository.GetEmailAddress(String GUID)