Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing existing AppPortal installation to AppBroker

mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

A customer asked me if they chould change an existing AppPortal installation to AppBroker by importing a different license file.

Judging from the basically identical source files, the license seems to be the only differentiator.

• Can anyone confirm this?
  • Has this been done before?
  • Is existing data a problem?
  • What to take care of, beyond ServiceNow/BMC integration and license change?

Best regards,

Markward

(1) Solution

Yes, this was recently answered in a side thread on a different discussion topic...

https://community.flexera.com/t5/App-Broker-Forum/Workflow-Skipping-Step-if-Same-Approver-in-Multiple-Steps/m-p/252851/highlight/true#M2389

This is a "sale" transaction with Flexera Sales/Orders to get a new license file.  Then the license file gets imported into the existing installation through the web-based admin UI.  There is no impact to existing data and no need to connect with ServiceNow or BMC (unless of course the customer wants to and that's why they are making the switch).  When importing the new license file, there may be a noticeable difference to the license terms (e.g. user-based license vs. device-based license), and there will be a new tab under Admin Security called REST API.  Otherwise, it will look exactly the same as before the new license file was applied.

If the customer is wanting to change from using the Flexera App Broker UI to using ServiceNow or BMC as the user-facing portal, there will be substantial changes required (e.g. moving all approval workflows, questions, etc. to ServiceNow/BMC), and I would highly encourage a paid Flexera Services engagement to help with that transition.  But if the customer just wants access to the REST APIs and has no intention of changing the user-facing portal, then just acquire and apply the license file and that's it.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

Yes, this was recently answered in a side thread on a different discussion topic...

https://community.flexera.com/t5/App-Broker-Forum/Workflow-Skipping-Step-if-Same-Approver-in-Multiple-Steps/m-p/252851/highlight/true#M2389

This is a "sale" transaction with Flexera Sales/Orders to get a new license file.  Then the license file gets imported into the existing installation through the web-based admin UI.  There is no impact to existing data and no need to connect with ServiceNow or BMC (unless of course the customer wants to and that's why they are making the switch).  When importing the new license file, there may be a noticeable difference to the license terms (e.g. user-based license vs. device-based license), and there will be a new tab under Admin Security called REST API.  Otherwise, it will look exactly the same as before the new license file was applied.

If the customer is wanting to change from using the Flexera App Broker UI to using ServiceNow or BMC as the user-facing portal, there will be substantial changes required (e.g. moving all approval workflows, questions, etc. to ServiceNow/BMC), and I would highly encourage a paid Flexera Services engagement to help with that transition.  But if the customer just wants access to the REST APIs and has no intention of changing the user-facing portal, then just acquire and apply the license file and that's it.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".