cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Portal: Site DNS Address Value

Issue that generated this question:  https://community.flexera.com/t5/App-Broker-Forum/Remedy-Wrapper-AppPortal-VIP/m-p/136781#M831

We ran into an issue as a result setting our Site DNS Address to a VIP on an implementation where the web server did not already have access to talk to the VIP assigned to it. When we go to check the documentation there was not enough information to tell why we were having issues. We fixed our issue by reverting to the default. Is there any documentation that states what setting Admin > Site Management > Settings > Web Site > Site DNS Address affects in full? All I could find is:

Site DNS Address

Specify the DNS address of the site.

This address is used for links in emails back to the App Portal site.
 By default the server name is used.
 If you create an alias, enter the alias here as well.

(1) Solution
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

As mentioned in the original post you opened on the subject, I was always under the impression that the Site DNS address was only used to build links to the App Portal site (typically added to notifications) This would be consistent with the documentation.. Digging into this further, I can see that it is also used for the Remedy wrapper, and the cloud catalog items (Salesforce, Office 365, Box). It looks like it is also used for some single sign on functionality. There may be other references that I may have missed, but it is safe to say that the setting is used for more than links in notifications.

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

As mentioned in the original post you opened on the subject, I was always under the impression that the Site DNS address was only used to build links to the App Portal site (typically added to notifications) This would be consistent with the documentation.. Digging into this further, I can see that it is also used for the Remedy wrapper, and the cloud catalog items (Salesforce, Office 365, Box). It looks like it is also used for some single sign on functionality. There may be other references that I may have missed, but it is safe to say that the setting is used for more than links in notifications.

As I suggested earlier, have you tried keeping the VIP in the "Site DNS Address" setting and configuring a hosts/lmhosts file entry on the server that points the VIP to localhost/127.0.0.1?  I really think that would work for you, since any use of the VIP outside of the server would be unaffected by this change and any use of the VIP within the server would be redirected to the loopback connection, which should also work correctly.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".