cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy icons once per profile

ive repackaged a legacy app that is working properly when deployed via active directory, except the icons for the app are not loaded into the users' profile start menus.

ive tried backing out what a product like winzip does to add profile specific information, but im in over my head and cant figure that out.

for some apps, i know that you can set an HKCU reg value to the key for a component, but that doesnt seem to be a good fit for my application.

the goal is simple, copy the shortcut files that are created during the system context installation into the user profile for each user that logs onto the computer. this is a problem ive been meaning to ask for a while, so any help/tip would be appreciated.

chris
(2) Replies
correction: I meant not loaded into the users' profile quick launch bars, not start menus.

-c
[list=1]
  • Unadvertise the Shortcut
    <
    Change the Shortcut’s Advertised attribute to No
  • Find/Make a suitable component for the shortcut
    If there is an existing component in the same feature with an HKCU keypath then you don’t need to carry out this step. If there is no component in the same feature with an HKCU keypath then you will need to create one. Make all the registry keys shown here:

• Move the Shortcut
    Go to the components view and change the component that the shortcut is associated with as shown here.

Once you have done all these changes, the ICE91 error will still be there but the shortcut WILL get created when the user clicks on one of the other advertised shortcuts in the start menu