cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visio 5 Package...

ACK!!!

I have a Visio 5.0C Professional package that i've created. Towards the end of the installation I get three errors all of which I can ignore. The program appears to function properly after ignoring the errors and the installation completes.

1st Error:

Error 1911. Could not register type library for file C:\Programs Files\Visio\Solutions\Visio Extras\Stencil Report Wizard.VST. Contact your support personnel.

2nd Error:

Error 1406. Could not write value VersionMinor to key UNKNOWN\Products\64E298CB32A806C41844904651021655\InstallProperties. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support.

User installing this has Admin rights!

3rd Error:

Error 1406. Could not write value VersionMinor to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{BC892E46-8A23-4C60-8144-096415206155}. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support.

User installing this has Admin rights!

Any help with the above would be great!!!

Thanks,

BCM4309
(6) Replies
Try this

Error 1: Check the typelib table to see if any entries have components that contains the .vst file. It may have assumed that they are type libraries and need to be registered.

Error 2&3: You've got Visio 5.0C as the name, Installer does not like the alphabet "C" to be in the product name. Sorry you've got to remove it!

hope this helps 🙂
Actually the only location I had 5.0C was in the product version field. I went ahead and removed it anyway. This is what I have found regarding the first problem.

Error 1911 "Could not Register Type Library"

Description:
Error 1911 "Could not register type library for file [2]. Contact your support personnel." during installation of one or more components on the target system. All dependencies are installed correctly, and the components that raise the 1911 error register properly when you use regsvr32 (dll/ocx) or the /regserver command-line switch (EXE). The components are set up correctly in Installshield.

The components that cause the error message are configured to use "extract at build" for their COM registration information. The problem only seems to occur after binary compatibility has been broken (as it often is, during development), and when you are using the same machine for compilation of the application object files and creation of the install set..

Cause:
The "extract at build" functionality appears to be using the registry information for the wrong (old) versions, and is using the wrong interface identifier information/registry information. This is what generates the 1911 error.

Note: Error 1911 can also be caused by missing dependencies, locale-specific components, corrupted object files, and several other causes. It is a bit of a catch-all message for COM registration problems.

Workarounds:
To avoid the problem unregister the components before you build the new version that is not binary compatible. If you already have outdated information in the registry of your development machine, run RegClean from Microsoft or a similar tool to remove the incorrect registry entries. Alternatively, create the install set from a machine with a fresh OS installation.

My build machine IS clean. I ran regclean on it anyway and then performed the installation VIA repackager. I still get the same three errors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Okay...

After having changed the "Product Version" field, I regenerated the "Package", "Product" & "Upgrade" GUID codes. It seems changing the GUID's solved problems 2 & 3. I still run into the first problem.

Any help you guys can provide would ROCK!!!

Thanks,

Bryan
Did you find any components in the typelib table that contains the vst file?

When you got the error during installation, are you able to ignore and complete the installation? if this happens, does the application function properly?
Nicholas,

>Did you find any components in the typelib table that contains the .vst file.

I did find "Folder_VisioExtras2_COM" in the "typelib" table which in the "file" table points to "stencilreportwizard.vst"

>When you got the error during installation, are you able to >ignore and complete the installation? if this happens, does the
>application function properly?

Yes I can ignore the error. Windows Installer completes the install and the application appears to function normally.

Thanks,

Bryan
Go to Setup Design and look for the component "Folder_VisioExtras2_COM", check for the files in this component and decide if any of the files may require to be registered via the typelib table.

If none of them require registration, you may safely remove the registration from the typelib table.

If one or more files needs to be registered, you may want to move the .vst files into a separate component.