cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Question.

HI,

I have a couple of applications which are subject to regular upgrades. Generally these upgrades consist of me being given 2 or 3 files from the existing application which have been changed by our developers.

I used Adminstudio to repackage the original setup.exe handed to me by the developers some time ago, but what is the best way of getting these two updated files onto the machines?

I've been told the best way is to do an upgrade - ie repackage the new version in its entirity and then the upgrade procedure uninstalls the old version and installs the new one. is htis the best way?

Can anyone help, PLEASE, as I have another upgrade looming in less than a fortnight!!!

Thanks,

MArk.
(2) Replies
Major Upgrade To be used where an old package needs uninstalling and a new package installing.

· In the new MSI package generate new Package Code, Product Code and Product Version.

· Leave the Upgrade Code the same.

· In Developer add a Major Upgrade Item and select ‘Products sharing my Upgrade Code’.

· You can run the new package with or without the old version being present on the host.

· The old version (if present) will be uninstalled automatically.

Minor Upgrade To be used where files/reg keys need adding/updating AND the Product Version needs incrementing*.

*Differences in product version can be useful can be useful when updating

· In the new MSI package generate new Package Code and Product Version.

· Leave the Product Code and the Upgrade Code the same.

· Ensure a Key File/Path has changed/added in at least one component for the upgrade to work.

· In Developer you do not need to add a ‘Minor Upgrade Item’.

· Run msiexec /i C:\app.msi REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL

· You can run the new package with or without the old version being present on the host.

· The old version (if present) will be updated only with the modified/new components.

Small Update To be used where files/reg keys need adding/updating. No change in Product Version.

Exactly as above, except that the Product Version does not change.

Regards

Mike.
Thanks for that.
I've got the major upgade bit to work, except for the fact that it installs the new version and then subsequently uninstalls the old verison and new version.

how can i get the uninstall to happen before the install of the upgraded version?

Cheers,

Mark.