cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To keep source files or not to keep source files, that is the question...

I'm packaging some of (the dozens of) IBM driver apps. They use some system type services so I can't repackage into MSI directly. I am however making an MSI wrapper for their silent install/uninstall. Here is the dilema:

We have two installs essentially. The MSI wrapper and the original Installscript exe. If I delete the setup files after the CA install then I don't have them for a potential uninstall. If I keep them I get partial duplicate files (IS install keeps some of the install files), where should I put them? Temp directory is bad place and a tech may update a drivers folder and break it. Any best practices?

Also should I replace the add/remove entry of the original IS install with the MSI uninstall? If I don't then it breaks upgrades, etc. if someone manually uninstalls. If I do then I would have to have the source file available. I guess I am looking for a best practices. Thanks ahead of time.
(4) Replies
Where you keep the files is personal choice. I use a folder off the root for things like this and keep a naming standard:
[systemroot]\DEPLOYMENT_STORE\vendor name\application\version\
I use SETACL to set permissions on the folder so that locked down users can't get to it.
I also instruct the support staff not to touch it.

As for your A/R question, I'd leave it as is and again notify support staff what the apps are.
I do this by maintaining a spreadsheet they can access that lists all "managed" applications and their GUIDs. That way they can look up applications they don't recognize and check before they delete something.
Well, I did find a cool little trick to use the Support Files. This allows the files to be extracted to a temporary directory at the start of the install and then deletes them at the end. It is really handy, however right now I am trying to work out why the uninstall isn't working. The result code I get back from the legacy installscript set up is -5.
What is keeping you from reauthoring the system services in MSI? I assume you are storing them in SUPPORTDIR then having a custom action invoke them. With a little sniffing it should be possible to figure out what they do internally.
The only thing is it has two driver services of type system. I went 'round and 'round with Macrovision tech support and finally it came down to them saying that type of service is not supported. 😞