cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table Record Reference Tracking

Recently we started using the 2019 edition of AdminStudio which is the first version for us with "Table Record Reference Tracking" in the Direct Editor of the InstallShield. This feature makes using the Direct Editor for larger projects very, very, very (actually unusable) slow. Just an example: Loading the Component table with +/- 12000 rows takes several minutes.  The reference tracking data is also loaded when the information isn't showed. So hiding the information isn't sufficient. I can't discover a setting in the Tools->Options menu to disable this function.

Can this function be disabled somewhere/somehow?

(1) Solution

I had an AdminStudio customer experience the same slowdown in MSI table loading in the InstallShield Editor as well.

@vdonga's suggestion of disabling the check significantly improves the table loading. Here's where to go:

IS Editor - Steps to Disable Broken Reference Constraints checking.jpg

Uncheck the Check for broken reference constraints checkbox, click OK, and then the table load time drops significantly. 

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!

View solution in original post

(10) Replies

Currently, there is no option to disable the Table Record Reference Tracking feature in InstallShield.

But, there is a WO with master issue # IOJ-1842645 is now with the engineering team to improve the performance of the Direct Editor.

In addition to the performance improvement it would be really appreciated if it can be disabled as well. I assume that wil result in the biggest improvement.

Sure,  I'll pass on this suggestion to the engineering team to have an option to disable Table Record Reference Tracking completely.

Hey @Martin 

This is reported and being tracked as "IOJ-1842645".

We are analyzing this issue for a fix for an upcoming release. If a fix is not possible, for short term, we will consider providing an option to disable reference tracking.

Regards,

Venkat Ram

Which means that it won't be fixed (Service Pack/Update/patched dll/exe), for the current Installshield 2019 Editor? Just turning it off/disabling it is sufficient for me.

@Martin We analyzed the issue and we found the root cause. Looks like we are checking for broken foreign key constraints when loading a table. We are adding a setting in Tools -> Options -> Preferences

'Check for broken reference constraints'

This will be on by default. You can uncheck this to avoid latency on loading the table.

This will be available in InstallShield 2019 R2 release.

I had an AdminStudio customer experience the same slowdown in MSI table loading in the InstallShield Editor as well.

@vdonga's suggestion of disabling the check significantly improves the table loading. Here's where to go:

IS Editor - Steps to Disable Broken Reference Constraints checking.jpg

Uncheck the Check for broken reference constraints checkbox, click OK, and then the table load time drops significantly. 

Expert Flexeran on AdminStudio, Workflow Manager, and Software Vulnerability Manager / Research
If I've answered your question, please mark my response as "Accept as Solution" to help others find answers. Thanks!

As promised the option is implemented in the 2019 R2 release.

Unchecking Check for broken reference constraints indeed gives a huge improvement in loading the tables in the direct editor.

However editing in the direct editor is still a bit of a challenge due to the latency when you try to modify data in a bigger project. Turning off the Reference Tracking as well brings the Installshield Editor up to (it's normal) speed.

@Martin Glad to know that performance is back to normal. Feel free to let us know of any other issues.

Top Kudoed Authors