Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup.iss file with progress bar

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi,

I currently created a silent automated installation for Lotus Notes R5 using the "setup.iss" option. Is there a way to add a progress bar so the the installation is not totally silent. Or is there a way to create a response file or unattended installation for a legacy setup (non-msi file) that will show a progress bar without using Admin Studio to repackage the application?

Thanx in advance...

Curtis
(4) Replies
Alas, you can't. Silent installations with .iss files (which are installers that use InstallScript) were designed to be completely silent, and not merely "quiet": there's no external hook for an external progress bar to receive feedback about the setup's progress.

One could write a small wrapper program that displays a small "please wait" dialog while a setup it launched is running, but it wouldn't be able to display true progress information the way MSI installations using the /qr or /qb option do.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Robert,

What would you suggest as the better option to upgrade Lotus Notes: 1) Using the setup.iss file with the "small wrapper" to show the progress, or repackaging the legacy application to an MSI and using that to upgrade Lotus Notes.

I would be upgrading from Lotus Notes ver. 5.0.6 to 5.0.10. Not a major upgrade.

Curtis
Well, the wrapper executable shouldn't be that difficult to write, but you wouldn't get true progress information; instead, you could change the mouse pointer to the hourglass, and perhaps put an animation control on the wrapper's please-wait dialog...
I went through this same problem. The closest I ever came was a VBS job that launched the setup and display a msgbox with something to the effect of "Please don't close this window". A few loop and exec commands did the trick. The worst part were those few testers that actually did what I asked. When the VBS code hung the customer left this stupid msgbox open for 90 some minute before letting anyone know. :rolleyes:
Proceed with caution.

Alternativly you could script the upgrade. It can be done, we had some real stumpers, but the new script is clean and no problems yet.