cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup.exe command line and verbose logging

I have a situation where I have an msi already created but need it to be wrapped up into a setup. So I open up the ism and created a new release, under the setup.exe tab I want to populate the command line with "/qb /l*v c:\windows\system32\Companyname\appname.txt". This works fine on XP, but I also have a requirement to write the log file on Win7 to C:\windows\sysWOW64\Companyname\appname.txt.

Since there is no environmental variable to use in my command line, will I have to have 2 separate packages or is there another way to write the log file to C:\windows\sysWOW64\Companyname\appname.txt on Windows 7 and to C:\windows\system32\Companyname\appname.txt on Windows Xp using 1 setup.exe?
(2) Replies
MichaelU
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran
From a 32-bit perspective, and setup.exe is a 32-bit program, those two paths are both represented as c:\windows\system32\Companyname\appname.txt. Make sure to verify whether the setup has permission to write to that location when started as a non-administrator, unless you know it will always be started elevated.
MichaelU wrote:
From a 32-bit perspective, and setup.exe is a 32-bit program, those two paths are both represented as c:\windows\system32\Companyname\appname.txt. Make sure to verify whether the setup has permission to write to that location when started as a non-administrator, unless you know it will always be started elevated.

It will always be elevated, and I should have mentioned that the Win7 machines will always be 64 bit.

So I need the log file to be created in C:\windows\sysWOW64\CompanyName when the setup is run on the Win7 64 bit machine and C:\windows\system32\CompanyName on XP.

Only solution I can find is having 2 separate setups (1 for XP, 1 for Win7 64), which will double my catalog size.