cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Build Defaults Instead of Build Wizard Each Time

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I am looking for a way to set the default build settings in AdminStudio. I would like to be able to open an ISM after repackaging and then just hit F7 to build the release configuration that I do 90% of the time - rather than having to do the release wizard once for each repackage.
(5) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Can I customize the "Product Configuration 1" and "My Release-1" that are automatically generated by the repackager?
This can be done via the import wizard in author.

1) Create a blank setup project (.ism) enter your default product configuration and release settings and save this project.

2) Open an .inc file using Author

3) On the first panel of the Import Wizard, enter this project as your template.

Your new setup project will then contain your defaults from the template.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Mike,
I had started to hack my way down that route. Since there were no releases in a blank template (or
in this case IsProjBlankTpl.ism because it seems to be used be default) I added them with the same default names that the repackage wizard compiles with.

The problems & questions ran into were:
*) I figured out that I have to use a "Basic MSI Project" to be able to change the SetupLauncher setting to "No".
*) I could not change the compression setting without running the build wizard which then also compiles at the end. This seemed to give me some type of duplicate table error during the repackager's compile.
*) I am unsure whether running the compile at the end of the release wizard (required to change compression setting) causes any literal (non-template) values to be embedded in any of the ISM settings, etc.
*) Is matching the configuration and release name to the ones used in a default repackager compile the way to ensure that the appropriate release settings are performed automatically? Or will repackager use the only release if there is only one in the ISM?

Thanks for any additional help,
D.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I have run the release wizard in a template ISM (IsProjBlankTpl.ism) to get the "compression" setting set to "Compressed" I also tested by creating a fresh ISM using the Project Wizard.

When I use the template during the repackagers "create MSI" stage, I get the error:

"The new record duplicates primary keys of the existing record in a table."

I have also attached a screen shot.

The repackager final dialog says that the repackage was successful.

D.
We don't recommend editing any of the .ism files in \InstallShield\AdminStudio\3.0\Author\Support\0409 directly. I'll attach a screen capture of the import wizard with the template .ism feature circled just so we are both on the same page.

Regarding your problems/questions:

1) Make sure the template project you create is a basic (pure) .msi project.

2) Running the release wizard is ok and required to set certain configurations

3) Your should use names other than "Product Configuration 1" and "My Release-1" for your default build settings.

4) After the .inc has been imported, you would need to select you media and hit build. After that you can use F7.

Hope that helps,
Mike