cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SdFeatureTree For Basic MSI

HI,

I have an urgent problem where I want to have a SdFeatureTree dialog instead of the annoying Custom Setup dialog :mad: , for a Basic MSI project I'm working on. Is there anyway I can add this dialog to the project. If not is it possible to create the dialog in VB and add it to the existing set of dialogs?

Thanks for your help in advance.
(4) Replies
I would recommend using CustomSetup dialog, since SelectionTree control is specifically for feature selection, while Checkbox control is not. To use Checkbox control to manipulate feature selections, you will need to perform extra work, like adding AddLocal ControlEvent, to make things work.

If you insist on not using CustomSetup dialog, you can create a custom dialog from Dialogs view. That is the approach I will recommend.
Thnks for your reply. I wouldn't mind sticking with the CustomSetup dialog if it could do 2 things:

1. Suppress the install options that appear when you right click a feature.
2. Allow the user to select what to install by having checkboxes next to each feature.

Is it possible to edit the CustomSetup's SelectionTree control properties in Visual Studio and import the dialog back into IS. I'm trying that but the SelectionTree seems to go back to it's original properties.

Thanks for your help again.

TsungH wrote:
I would recommend using CustomSetup dialog, since SelectionTree control is specifically for feature selection, while Checkbox control is not. To use Checkbox control to manipulate feature selections, you will need to perform extra work, like adding AddLocal ControlEvent, to make things work.

If you insist on not using CustomSetup dialog, you can create a custom dialog from Dialogs view. That is the approach I will recommend.
1. Yes, up to a point. By setting Disallow Advertise (or msidbFeatureAttributesDisallowAdvertise bit), feature is prevented from being advertised. For other attributes available to feature, please refer to Feature table on MSDN.
2. It is not possible.

SelectionTree control is bound by its design. You will want to familiarize yourself with it.
Thanks for your help TsungH. I've decided to leave the SelectionTree and try using checkboxes instead. Simply because I want to make the installable features optional to the end user and want to convey that in a simple manner. The SelectionTree is too confusing for my users.

I'm new to Installshield X so it's taking me a while to understand what's available and how it's done. Thanks again 🙂