cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repackager vs. Vista 64

I just got AdminStudio 8.6 -

I have no problem executing the repackager on XP however once I moved to my Vista64 apps I hit a wall.

I am attempting to use the Snapshot method just to grab the many different components I am adding to this app etc, but when I run the Initial Snapshot I get about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through the registry reading and Vista gives me this "Installshield Repackager EXE has stopped working" .. and it was correct haha.

Either something is missing from my exclude list that I need for vista or repackager is having an issue with the split registery (32/64). Is repackager even supported on Vista 64? or has anyone encountered this and found a work-around?

Event Logger details:
Faulting application Repack.exe, version 8.60.0.3, time stamp 0x46f8a444, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bdf8, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0002b9ad, process id 0x5d0, application start time 0x01c87977498519cd.

Thanks!
Jeff
(8) Replies
Korse2008 wrote:
I just got AdminStudio 8.6 -

I have no problem executing the repackager on XP however once I moved to my Vista64 apps I hit a wall.

I am attempting to use the Snapshot method just to grab the many different components I am adding to this app etc, but when I run the Initial Snapshot I get about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through the registry reading and Vista gives me this "Installshield Repackager EXE has stopped working" .. and it was correct haha.

Either something is missing from my exclude list that I need for vista or repackager is having an issue with the split registery (32/64). Is repackager even supported on Vista 64? or has anyone encountered this and found a work-around?

Event Logger details:
Faulting application Repack.exe, version 8.60.0.3, time stamp 0x46f8a444, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549bdf8, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0002b9ad, process id 0x5d0, application start time 0x01c87977498519cd.

Thanks!
Jeff

Jeff,

Haven't tried repackager on Vista64 yet but I would try classic before/after snapshot and see what that's doing instead of monitoring.

reg, Henno.
Thanks for reply.

that is what I am doing the Classic Multiple Steps. Analyze the initial system status is the one that bombs out for me 😞

Thanks again,
Jeff
Korse2008 wrote:
Thanks for reply.

that is what I am doing the Classic Multiple Steps. Analyze the initial system status is the one that bombs out for me 😞

Thanks again,
Jeff

Mmm, not good, you are running repackager on a clean system?

I suppose you know that you can't make 1 MSI for 32 bit and 64 bit ?
You need 2 seperate packages to support both platforms...

reg, Henno
Yes - I assume you mean by the template Intel64 flag for building MSIs for the 64bit platform. That ok for me as I have specific packages for 32 and 64.

I am using a clean COTS (ootb) installation of Vista I have used Biz ed, and Ent. ed. (even with the sp1) both produce the same response, it appears that it happens at random points during the read of the registry.

Basically, I have one off the shelf application that our company produces & have upwards of 20 plus ancailly applications and customizations that I integrate into the app. The app uses is own installation logic (go inhouse PD haha) anyway I dont have much of choice but to get this into an MSI format for our customer req's.

Thanks again for your feedback, if anyone as actually executed the repackager on a Vista 64bit system to take a snapshot (classic mode multiple pass) and had it work please let me know, if it is possible then I shall find my flaw 😉

Thanks again,
Jeff
Korse2008 wrote:
Yes - I assume you mean by the template Intel64 flag for building MSIs for the 64bit platform. That ok for me as I have specific packages for 32 and 64.

I am using a clean COTS (ootb) installation of Vista I have used Biz ed, and Ent. ed. (even with the sp1) both produce the same response, it appears that it happens at random points during the read of the registry.

Basically, I have one off the shelf application that our company produces & have upwards of 20 plus ancailly applications and customizations that I integrate into the app. The app uses is own installation logic (go inhouse PD haha) anyway I dont have much of choice but to get this into an MSI format for our customer req's.

Thanks again for your feedback, if anyone as actually executed the repackager on a Vista 64bit system to take a snapshot (classic mode multiple pass) and had it work please let me know, if it is possible then I shall find my flaw 😉

Thanks again,
Jeff

Did you consider to report it as an incident?
(I presume that you have a support contract in place?)

reg, Henno
No we dont i would have thought that we would have sported for it as much as we paid for the software but we dont 😕

I will see what I can get done along that route tho, I was hoping someone was going to be able to hit me upside the head with a 'what the heck are you thinking' comment lol

thanks again,
Jeff
I contacted Macrovision support with the same issue and they told me that the repackager is not supposed to work on 64-bit Vista and could give me no time estimate as to when it would work. I'm starting to evaluate other software now since we have several applications where this will be a requirement.
That's terrible it does not state Vista 32 on the website, I have just ordered to vista 64 workstations.. 😞

Wont be happy as I cheked the System Requirements before I ordered..