cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repackager and Merging 2 ISM projects

I have a repackaging project I am working on that involves creating a single MSI with 4 feature trees from 4 repackaged MSIs.

My idea was to simply create the feature trees in a new MSI and use the export component feature on each component from the original 4 ISMs. Then organize the components under the appropriate features in the resultant ISM.

The issue I am running into here is that the registry entries for each of the 4 ISMs overlap. ie: in the registry table the entries start with Registry_0, Registry_1,Registry_2... so when I start importing the second ISM I get overlap and prompted to rename the entries.

Is there a way to change the behaviour of the repackager to use something other than Registry_x for the registry table entries? Or, is there a good way to avoid having to rename several hundred registry entries in 4 ISM files?
(1) Reply
Hi there,

The naming convention for new registry table entries can't be changed when working with the UI.

One solution would be to use the automation interface to change the names in the registry table before exporting the components into the new ism.

If you don't fancy coding, instead of exporting whole components, try exporting the registry ones into reg files hkml.reg, hkcu.reg, hkcr.reg and import them in your new msi.

Tip for msi from multiple isms: When converting your repackager output, use the first ism as a template for the second ism, the second ism as a template for the third and so on. just change the common component names in the previous ism first (i.e. RegistryData_Machine to RegistryData_Machine_App1)

Good luck,
Marco