cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real dumb question about setting permissions

I have a query about settings permissions on files and registry entries. I'm sure it's a really simple answer but can't find it documented anywhere.

I know that to set permissions on something I can add [%USERDOMAIN] in the Domain field and 'Domain Users' in the user field in the permissions window to specify all users in our domain, for example. Works fine. I also know that the permissions I set here are a 'replace' set rather than 'in addition', so I need to include settings for local groups like 'Administrators' and 'Power Users' to avoid losing them.

The question is HOW? What do I type in the domain field to indicate that the group I am using is a local machine group rather than a domain one? Is there something like a [%LOCALMACHINE] environment variable, or can you leave the domain blank and have it assume local group, or what?

I'm sure anyone who's actually done this sucessfully can answer this in about 10 seconds flat, which will save me several hours of fiddling about experimentation.

Thanks in Advance,
Graham
(1) Reply
For example in LockPermissions table,
LockObject	Table		Domain		User		Permission
INSTALLDIR CreateFolder Administrators 268435456