cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-packaging Oracle 10g client.....

All,
I have repackaged the Oracle 10g client and problems are able to use my re-packaged version to connect to databases however the Universal Installer doesnt show any installed versions.

I am guessing that this is an issue with DLL registration or some other unknown error that I am too dumb to figure out, being new to adminstudio and msi creation and all 🙂

Anyone able to lend me a hand with this or point me in the right direction to fix this little problem?

Regards,
Paul
(5) Replies
Can you go in to more detail on exactly what does not work?

Whatever it is, if info has not been captured, filemon and regmon (sysinternals.com) are going to be your friend here.
The captured MSI works fine and any Oracle based package that uses the Oracle 10g backend also works fine. The problem arrises when you load up the Universal Installer, basically when you click on the Installed Homes button it shows nothing, even though it all works fine. I am guessing there is a DLL or some other file that isnt registered properly.

Anyway thats about all I can say.

Paul
(Random guess) Do you know if the MSI is putting down COM stuff into HKCR? If so sounds like a key is missing or mis-translated. Otherwise, yeah, missing DLL, mistranslated entry in INI file, maybe (and I have seen this A LOT wiht Oracle apps) there is a problem with long file names ( so you either translate to short manually or rebuild with SHORTFILENAMES=1 set in the property table).

But a bit of work with regmon and filemon should tell you what exactly is missing.
Inabus wrote:
All,
I have repackaged the Oracle 10g client and problems are able to use my re-packaged version to connect to databases however the Universal Installer doesnt show any installed versions.

I am guessing that this is an issue with DLL registration or some other unknown error that I am too dumb to figure out, being new to adminstudio and msi creation and all 🙂

Anyone able to lend me a hand with this or point me in the right direction to fix this little problem?

Regards,
Paul

Hi,
We have the same problem with Client 9.2 and we are wondering if you finally found a solution.

Thanks
Veronique
To be honest no I never found out what it was, I re-packaged the software and this seemed to resolve the isssue and I am now able to see all the installed Oracle versions under the 10g installer.

Never worked out what I missed the first time round unfortunatly.

Paul