Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patch Creation

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Can anyone Help.

I am looking for the best way to create a Patch (MSP, or Exe).

We have an original MSI created using Wise for Windows, but we do not have any of the WSI\ISM files.

We need to patch this original msi with a Setup.exe provided to us by the vendor.

Can anyone advise the best way to create a patch\upgrade for this application.

I have been unable to find a walkthrough or guide on how to run through this process.

your advise will be much appreciated
(2) Replies
The best way to create a patch would be through the DevStudio portion of AdminStudio. When you launch DevStudio, go to the File | New menu option. From the New Project dialog, you can choose to create a new QuickPatch project. This will ask you to specify an msi to create the quick patch for & then you can make your modifications.

Mark D.
Software Quality Engineer
InstallShield Software Corp.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
OK

I am getting extremely confused here:

Quick recap on current source install scenario:

Version 3.1.1 currently out in the environment as an MSI packaged using Wise 4.X about 2 years ago. We do NOT have the WSI for this app JUST the MSI.

A Patch has been released by the Vendor as a Setup.exe with accompanying cab files etc to take the version to 3.1.4

How can I get from a 3.1.1 MSI to a 3.1.4 MSI using this Setup.exe patch provided by the Vendor?

I want the users that already have the 3.1.1 MSI installed on their PC's to just require a patch to their existing install to get them to the newer version.

Assume I am totally clueless here and I need as much of a walkthrough as possible please.

I have never done one of these Patch/Upgrades before so its all very new to me.

I have searched all over the place and can find no information available online on how to do this step by step.

Regards

Solid-UK