cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packaging a batch file that installs multiple msi,msp and exe files

I am new to admin studio and have been trying to read up as much as I can. I am attempting to package an installation of microsoft dynamics we currently have installing via batch file.

The batch calls multiple msi and msp files via msiexec while passing arguments to some of them. It also installs a few exe files and performs a file copy/replace at the end.
I understand that nesting MSI's or doing a snapshot is a bad idea but I'm at a loss as to the best way to package this installation.

Does anyone have any ideas on the right direction for me to go here? I have included the batch file, its pretty simple but I figured someone might want to see exactly what we are trying to accomplish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(5) Replies
Why do you want to Package a set of MSI's into 1 MSI?

you can deploy the separate MSI's with your preferred distribution tool (and completely configure the order / switches etc..)
jaybee96 wrote:
Why do you want to Package a set of MSI's into 1 MSI?

you can deploy the separate MSI's with your preferred distribution tool (and completely configure the order / switches etc..)

Ease of use by our users and or helpdesk. We can deploy the programs separately via sccm but it is incredibly slow. We would like to be able to just send a user a single packaged link to download and install if needed. We also want to be able to put this package in our litetouch image and be a selectable install. This becomes much easier if its an all in one
I would not recommend this method ( Nested MSI)

Downside(s):

• Nested Installations cannot share components.
  • An administrative installation cannot contain a nested installation.
  • Patching and upgrading will not work with nested installations.
  • The installer will not correctly cost a nested installation.
  • Integrated ProgressBars cannot be used with nested installations.
  • Resources that are to be advertised cannot be installed by the nested installation.
  • A package that performs a nested installation of an application should also uninstall the nested application when the parent product is uninstalled.

Alternative 1: ( if you really don't want to configure this within SCCM ( which is the best way) is to create a wrapper exe and install the products seperately.

Alternative 2: Chained MSI
Thank you for your reply.This will all be deployed through SCCM for the most part but I would like to be able to just send a file to a user or a network location if need be (Our SCCM environment is not exactly quick)
After working on it a bit I came to the conclusion that a chained MSI would be the best way to do this in my environment but I'm having trouble since this package uses msi's and exes, msps (which can't be used in a chained msi at least not that i can tell) as well as some various file copies that need to happen.
Can you recommend any further reading on chained MSI's and best practices for using them?

jaybee96 wrote:
I would not recommend this method ( Nested MSI)

Downside(s):

• Nested Installations cannot share components.
  • An administrative installation cannot contain a nested installation.
  • Patching and upgrading will not work with nested installations.
  • The installer will not correctly cost a nested installation.
  • Integrated ProgressBars cannot be used with nested installations.
  • Resources that are to be advertised cannot be installed by the nested installation.
  • A package that performs a nested installation of an application should also uninstall the nested application when the parent product is uninstalled.

Alternative 1: ( if you really don't want to configure this within SCCM ( which is the best way) is to create a wrapper exe and install the products seperately.

Alternative 2: Chained MSI