cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nt Service Password

HI,
I wanted to know if its in any way possible to encrypt the password when u set a service? Because otherwise anybody can open the msi package and watch the password which is at the same a localadmin password.

bye
Stephan
(3) Replies
Stephan,

The Network Service account uses the computer's credentials but does not have local admin privileges. The Local Service account has the same privileges as the Network Service account, but can't authenticate to the network. The Service account password is generated automatically and I don't think you can encrypt it, as it is a machine account (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

MS has some good info here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/serversecurity/serviceaccount/default.mspx
Hi,
sorry, perhaps i phrased wrong myself. I set the password in the msi package and there everybody can read it.
Finally I want that I can use the AutoExNT Tool to start a batch file from the server which needs user informations

bye
Oh, sorry. I understand now.
Have you tried just taking the password out of the .msi package?

I'm not familiar with the AutoExNT Tool. How are you deploying your packages? If you are using SMS or another way to get them out, you can launch your .msi and user info from the same batch file.