Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing every time when clicking on the Icon

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hello!

I have just made a .MSI file for installing Adobe Acorbat Reader 5.05. Everything looks OK, the first time I try starting Acrobat Reader (it starts, not installing). But all the time after it installs and configurating Acrobat Reader. The same happens if I try to start Internet Explorer.

Do anyone have know what this is?

Regards,
Wenche
(13) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Yes, some of the Adobe components aren't properly installed.

If you would like, I can save you the trouble and place by Acrobat Reader (with pdf searching) 5.05 MSI I built on an FTP site for you.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thanks, that would be great!

Wenche
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
hello

i have the same problem.
My msi is ok in administrator mode but when i try in users mode i have the same problem as Wenche.

gpo for msi privilege is activated.

I will be interested by your msi Ian.

thanks for help ))
Hi

Has anyone repackaged Acrobat Writer 5.0.5? My repackage installs and functions properly when I run it interactively, however when I publish it via Active Directory the PDF Port does not get installed. Any help would be much appreciated.

regards,

Nicholas
About the reinstalling of the application, I read on installsite that it was a bug of Windows Installer.

For Acrobat Writer, there are many threads on the Wise Package Studio forum.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I am having the exact same issue, works fine 1st time it's run. then re-installs everytime you sneeze at the stinkin' computer. Any chance of getting access to your FTP site Ian?
I have found that with this or any application that always re-installs when you click on the execute if you click on the cancel button and then Look at your application logs of the computer you should see a [Source] MsiInstaller error. When you double click on this entry it will show you data that is pertaining to a component that is missing. Then you can go back into your project and modify as needed.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Ian , do you by any chance have a copy of Adobe Acrobat 5.05 fullversion as an MSI that works fully and doesn't try to reinstall itself everytime I breath.

Please let me know , I have spent countless man hours on this issue .

Regards

Jat
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I have check ed the application event log and found the event which is causing my Adobe Acrobat 5.05 MSI to reinstall everytime I try to run internet explorer but I don't know how to rectify it.

I installed this app while logged in as a user with Administrative rights and typed "msiexec /i AdobeAcrobat50510102003.msi ALLUSERS=2" to install it as I wish it to be a per machine install and all the shortcuts are not advertised.

I have attached a text file which contains the entries in the application event log.

Can some please have a look at these and tell me how to rectify it.

By the way I have editted the "ALLUSERS" property in the "ISM" file so it has no value now where it automtically had a value of 2 when the "ISM" file was created.

Attaching the file now.:confused:
You are launching into repair because the keypaths are missing. Perhaps you snapshotted some temporary files which are cleaned up by the application.

To get round this go to the component referenced by the GUID that is in your log file (do a find in the Component table) and make these paths non key.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
David

Thank you for your reply, I have found the components within the "ISM" file but I don't know how to make them "Non Key".

Could you please let me know how to do this .

Kind Regards

Jat
To clear a key file you would right click the relevant file or keypath in the component view and select clear key file.

Be careful. Key files are needed for correct repair, upgrades and advertised shortcuts. If you have created a snapshot of a file you don't need in the package then perhaps also try just to remove the offending file completely.
I had a similar problem with WInzip. I eventually figured out it was to do with the context sensitive menus in explorer. Basically everytime you right clicked on anything it had to create the menu, including a winzip shortcut. We got round it by removing the conext senstiive menu shortcuts form teh msi.

Cheers,

MArk,