cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

InstallScript MSI and Active Directory

Having a problem running an InstallScript MSI through Active Directory GPO. This particular package needs to install an application from 3 CD's. Couldn't repackage the app for various reasons so decided to use an installscript (custom action) to launch the setup silently. The script is using SRCDIR in the path to the vendor setup but when installing via AD (published app), the SRCDIR is set to the local temp folder (seems to cache it locally, looks to be installscript engine stuff). How can I get SRCDIR to represent the location on the AD server that the msi is running from? Possible??
(2) Replies
Ouch.

For debugging, have you tried running the msi from a command line without the CDs present? "msiexec /i blahblah.msi /q"? See if it'll run outside of AD without the CDs, I think that's your first step.

You may need to create a transform to pass that SRCDIR property in your GPO. Do that and test it silently with a command line, if it works I'm betting your GPO will too.

Sounds complicated with the extra sources though.
Thanks for the reply. I've tried running this as an administrator, mapping to a machine that stores the msi and it works just fine (SRCDIR is the location that the msi is running from). That leads me to believe that AD is caching it locally before running, perhaps AD won't allow 'access' back to the server, I don't know (not up on the little details of Active Directory).