cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I'm pretty familiar at this point with using and installing MSI files, but still fairly new at creating/editing - so this may be a very basic question.

I use a GPO and replicated DFS to push out MSI packages for about 9 apps (Acro Reader, Groupwise 6, Office XP, etc) via policies, and the install files are stored on their local servers. So far this has worked exceptionally well.

My question is how do I tell the last install path for the MSI? IE: If my user goes from site A to site B, and one of the keypath files gets hosed - where does it store the information about where it is supposed to go to repair that file? Does it reference the GPO and pull it from there, or store it in the registry somewhere? I just want to make sure that users are pulling their files from the right place if a self-repair kicks off.

Note: The 'right place' path is a Distributed File System path (DFS). So \\us\DFS\install\myapp.msi for instance. When they go to another site - DFS recognizes their subnet via Sites and Services - and points to the local DFS replica to pull files. Works like a charm for people that bounce between 19 sites, so that installed files are always pulled from the local server. Just pre-emptively trying to track down how it knows where to look in the case that a self-repair kicks off.

Thanks

Jason
(2) Replies
You will find the path in the registry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Managed\S-*****\Installer\Products\****\SourceList\Net\

In addition to the default path, you can also add additional source paths by modifying the SOURCELIST Property. This will provide you with source resiliency.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thanks 🙂