cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICE33 Warnings

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I recently purchased AdminStudio 3.5 and I'm working on creating my first .msi repackaged installation for deployment through Active Directory Group Policies. I plan on assigning this application to a group of users. The reason for this is so that if their computer is replaced or if they log into several different workstations, their applications are always available. This functionality is already in place and working using Microsoft-created .msi files for Visio 2002 and Project 2002.

I figured I'd start easy and work on repackaging an IM program. I'm working with AOL Instant Messenger 5.1 and have created a customized .msi file after using Repackager (for the initial .inc file), Legacy Setup Conversion Wizard (for converting .inc to .msi) and Developer (for tweaking and build validation).

Here are my two questions:
(1) I'm receiving ICE33 warnings that registry keys are used in an unsupported way. ProgId, Shell extension verbs, Extensions and MIME info should be registered via their tables. I know many people say you can safely ignore these most all the time but I have seen that people say you must fix these warnings if you plan on deploying the software through Active Directory to users (which is my situation). I've picked through the forums and the help files to try and figure out how to remove this data from the registry section and move it to the COM Registration/File Types section under Advanced Settings in the Components area. The ones I'm working with happen to be in RegistryData_HKCR. I need help (step-by-step example preferred) in how to analyze the info that is there and how to port it to COM Registration/File Types.

(2) I'm also trying to create a shortcut on the user's Start Menu to advertise the program. This shortcut should be available and the program will install when the user clicks on it. I do not want the program available to all users of the workstation, just the one I've assigned it to through Group Policy. When I create an advertised shortcut, I'm struggling with figuring out how to code the properties of it, specifically the Icon File field and the Component field. I'm getting ICE50 Warnings and Errors saying the extension of the icon for the shortcut does not match the extension of the key file. I know this one is a little vague but someone may have run into this situation so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks everyone!

-Doug
(3) Replies
(1) Yes it is possible, and should be done. Unfortunately, I can't explain it easily, sorry.

(2) I can help here. The problem is that Developer doesn't like shortcuts to documents (or anything other than executables). You're going to have to do some manual table modifications.

In the shortcuts view, there is a property called "Key Name". Mine is set to NewShortcut1

Go to Direct Editor-> Shortcut Table and find the row NewShortcut1

You will see that the "extension of the.." Icon_ column is not a supported type. (should end in .exe)

Let's do things in the right order, so don't change anything here but go to the Icon Table. Change the Name column so that your shortcut ends in .exe
return to the shortcut table and your changed icon name will be available in the drop-down-list.

that'll fix your ICE50s

I am sure that this bug must have been reported to installshield, but it is so old that they probably need reminding of it.

looeee
Hello Doug,

InstallShield ERRDOC Q107571 should provide some additional help with ICE33.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thanks Adam. I've tried to work through that document but either I'm doing something wrong or the steps are really not as simple as that document leads me to believe. I'll keep working on it and maybe if I'm still stuck in a few days I'll post a specific example to see if anyone has experience or a solution to the exact warning I post. I can't imagine I'm the only one that has ever tried to repackage AOL Instant Messenger 5.1. Still plugging away...

-Doug