cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove desktop icon from msi

Hi,

I am trying to repackage a msi. I am creating a transform to the msi to remove the desktop icon using MST wizard. The wizard does not show me desktop icon of the app. If I open the msi in an edit mode, I do not see the desktop icon either. Also I am unable to find any shortcut file.
But when I install the msi, it does have a desktop icon.
Is there any other way like modifying the registry entry or something that I can mention in the transform.

Help me here please.

Thanks.
(3) Replies
It is possible that the desktop shortcut is created by a custom action. You may have to create a custom action to delete the shortcut towards the end of installation.
Thanks, TsungH
I am new to creating custom actions. But can you please tell me how to create one for removing desktop icons. Do we have to set property. Is so how do I do t.

Thank very much.
You will have to write script/code to do that. You can use any language supported in custom action.

There should be some examples discussed in the forums. You may want to do a search on them. For additional information on custom actions, please refer to Summary List of All Custom Action Types.