cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install unversionned file ?

Hi,

I have an exe file "File1.exe" installed on target system with no version.

I have compiled a new file "File1.exe" with a new modified date.

When I install my MSI, the file is not overwritten.
In log I have that message : Won't Overwrite; Won't patch; Existing file is unversioned but modified

It seems that MSI doesn't care about file date to overwrite ?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks you for replies
(7) Replies
For unversioned files, the Windows Installer will never overwrite if the files modified date is different from its created date. I would recommend using versioned binary files.

You could also use the InstallShield editor to associate a "fake" version with the file usin the file properties dialog. The side affect of doing this is that the setup will ALWAYS OVERWRITE your existing file becuased versioned files...even those with "fake" versions will always overwrite non-versioned files.

If you're ever having trouble sleeping, I recommend reading the topic in the MSI help library that discusses File Versioning Rules. It's good knowledge to have rattling arround in the back of your head if you work with MSI on a regular basis.

Hope that helps!
Thank you for your reply David, but is there any workaround ?

I mean, is there a way to overwrite non versioned file if the newer file has a new date ? in command line for example ?
I don't want to always overwrite file, because there's not control anymore of date, version with REINSTALLMODE = "amus"
What about using a versioned companion file? Look at the "Companion Files" page in the MSI help for more info.

Hope this helps!
Marwan wrote:
What about using a versioned companion file? Look at the "Companion Files" page in the MSI help for more info.

Hope this helps!

Companion files may becoma handy in the situation you have only a few unversioned files and you can add them manually one-by-one. And what if you have many files added using the 'dynamic link'?

It's impossible to override version (or whatever else) for files added this way. Dynamic link doesn't allow to do any 'override' settings as far as I know
if you have compiled the file yourself, why not give it a version?
looeee wrote:
if you have compiled the file yourself, why not give it a version?

PHP, HTML, CSS, GIF, JPG, TXT and lot of other files just don't have version. I have product with more than just EXE & DLL files that could have version resource. :cool:
in which case ... I suggest you follow Merlin99's suggestion of using companion file references and using version in your exes