cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hello,

I Have a apllication that need a drive V:\
When I open the file .inc with Developer, appear in Property Manager a property with name DIRPROPERTY and with value V:\
But if I don´t exclude this property of Property Manager, I can't publish this MSI in Active Directory.
If I delete this property, all that is in V:\ go to C:\

My question is, how i declare a drive V:\, for example, drive c:\ is WINDOWSVOLUME, c:\Winnt is WindowsFolder , so, drive V:\ is ...

Help me, because i have search information there are 2 days and i don't find information about this.

Thank You
(4) Replies
If your installation needs to read or write to V drive during installation time, it may not be feasible to publish your installation. This is a similar discussion. If you want to read up on other threads, you can do a search on drive in the forums.
Our NW Mangler prefers our apps installed to V:\, which is then made read-only. So when snapshotting an installation, I snapshot only stuff which is written to C:. V: already has all the files on it, and so the DIRPROPERTY v: isn't required at install time - and MSIs will deploy with AD no probs.

Hope that made sense.... 😉

Ian E
Bolton Institute
IanE@bolton.ac.uk
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hope i understand u correctly... Don't really get your sentence:
"But if I don´t exclude this property of Property Manager, I can't publish this MSI in Active Directory.
If I delete this property, all that is in V:\ go to C:\"

So i'm just gonna fire some info at u.

If u know how the Directory Table works. U know the answer.

Directory table uses special folders. These special folders are actually system properties, which becoma a MSI property at runtime. I believe after the CostFinalize action. Don't shoot me if i'm wrong 🙂
When a directory needs to be build up, the system will start at the directory id given. It will resolve it's long / short name, and then look at the parent. If the parent is a property then the resolving stops. Because it now has got the full path --> \

Example: i declare a property --> MyNetworkLocation = v:\apps\thingamagigga\
Now in the directory table the following entry:
| Dir_id | Parent_id | Name
| MyDirIdentifier | MyNetworkLocation | TheLoc~1:TheLocation

--> this will form the following path at runtime:
v:\apps\thingamagigga\TheLocation\

Hope this info Helps. And that i really understanded your problem. Else consider this, as not being written 🙂

But remember, when MSI can't find v:\, the installation will be aborted, with some error, i can't remember which nr it is, sorry.

Greetz and good luck
Hello FrankSpierings,

So, you had the same problem that I.
But, I need more help.

My aplication need the next mapping: G:\Forms, because the executable go to search files in this directory.
When I open my .inc with installshield, appear in Property Manager the next property: DIRPROPERTY1 = G:\
How I said, with this property in property manager, I can´t publish this MSI in Active Directory.
In Directory Table apeear: DIRPROPERTY1 - TARGETDIR - .
FORMS - DIRPROPERTY1 - FORMS

So, if you understand my problem, can you help me, please??? 😮

FrankSpierings wrote:
Hope i understand u correctly... Don't really get your sentence:
"But if I don´t exclude this property of Property Manager, I can't publish this MSI in Active Directory.
If I delete this property, all that is in V:\ go to C:\"

So i'm just gonna fire some info at u.

If u know how the Directory Table works. U know the answer.

Directory table uses special folders. These special folders are actually system properties, which becoma a MSI property at runtime. I believe after the CostFinalize action. Don't shoot me if i'm wrong 🙂
When a directory needs to be build up, the system will start at the directory id given. It will resolve it's long / short name, and then look at the parent. If the parent is a property then the resolving stops. Because it now has got the full path --> \

Example: i declare a property --> MyNetworkLocation = v:\apps\thingamagigga\
Now in the directory table the following entry:
| Dir_id | Parent_id | Name
| MyDirIdentifier | MyNetworkLocation | TheLoc~1:TheLocation

--> this will form the following path at runtime:
v:\apps\thingamagigga\TheLocation\

Hope this info Helps. And that i really understanded your problem. Else consider this, as not being written 🙂

But remember, when MSI can't find v:\, the installation will be aborted, with some error, i can't remember which nr it is, sorry.

Greetz and good luck