cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ConflictSolver AdStudio 6

I am trying to find out what rights to give a user so that they can access an SQL database and perform conflicts and conflict resolution, but not import into the database. We are using SQL Enterprise Manager v8.0. We are not using AMS.
Thanks
(8) Replies
The solution too your problem should be very simple depending on certain conditions. Essentially, if the currently connected AdminStudio user has Admin privledges (may also require AdminStudio Enterprise edition), then you should see under the main AdminStudio IDE a Catalog - Security menu. This menu item will allow you to invoke the 'Manage Users' dialog.

From this dialog, you can configure the user privledges to the Application Catalog and any sort of sub-roles. The sub-roles will allow you to control whether a given user can import packages, perform conflict detection, etc...

Allen Saxton
AdminStudio Development
Allen,

Thanks for responding but you are really not answering my question.
We are using Admin Studio Professional and NOT AMS. I need to know what specific permissions to assign the user on the objects within SQL. Example the object of db_datawriter unless you change the specific permission on this object for the user they have all rights.

THanks
Well! I thought I was answering the question. My reference to the 'Manage Users' dialog is a reference to functionality within AdminStudio. If you use this dialog, then you will be able to assign permissions to use the Application Catalog.

For the Administrator role, SQL Server will be configured with the server roles of DB CREATOR and SECURITY ADMIN and the database role of DB OWNER. For the Author role, SQL Server will be configured with the database role of DB DATAREADER , DB DDLADMIN, and DB DATAWRITER. Once these roles are defined, the same 'Manage Users' dialog will allow you to enable specific privledges within the AdminStudio tools for the various users. These privledges are stored in the various assys - prefixed tables in the Application Catalog.

It is recommended that you use this dialog to configure all of your user permissions. Later, you can use Enterprise Manager to restrict the server permissions on a user-by-user basis.

Allen Saxton
Allen,

The Manage Users Dialog box is a function of the Snap in AMS 2.0

We are not using AMS. I would like to know what the specific permssion are for the objects Db_ datareader and DB_Datawriter. Unless you set specific permission on these objects the users rights default to the rights of public. The permissions for the users need to be specifically granted and I need to what these specific permissions are example; Object Componet - select insert update delete.

Thanks
We are not communicating very effectively perhaps you could call me at 847-###-#### and we can identify your concerns.
Allen,

I have gone into the database user properties and on the Objects:
cstblConflictACE
cstablConflictConfiguration
cstblConflictPackages
cstblConflictResults
cstblConflcitResultsDestPkgs
cstblConflictTransformList

I have checked SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE
THe database role selected is db_datareader and db_datawriter

THis user still is able to import packages into the database.
I do not want this user to be able to do this.
What else do I need to do to make thsi work.

Thanks
OK!

To allow Conflict Detection privledges, the user needs full access to the tables mentioned earlier. To disable Import privledges, you should remove INSERT and UPDATE rights to the tables with prefixes of csmsi, csmsm, and csosc.

The user will still be able to invoke the Import operation, but the operation should fail and the transaction rolled back.

Allen Saxton
Allen,

I removed INSERT and UPDATE rights to the tables with prefixes of csmsi, csmsm, and csosc.

The user will is still be able to invoke the Import operation, operation goes through and shows as being sucessfull. The package shows up in the group, but thier are no files included in it. The transaction does not fail and roll back.

We are very close is there some other table that needs INSERT and UPDATE removed from.

Ideally we would like import option to be grayed out.

Thanks