cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflict Checker performance question

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I am trying to submit a formal proposal to my management for a license of InstallShield. In order to make a valid estimate, we want to include the requirements involved when using the Conflict Checker, and possibly any upcoming requirements from version 4.
We are basically looking for the best practices and how to implement them.
Any suggestions?
Specifically, I am wondering:
1. Conflict Checker: We can assume we will have anywhere from 100-500 applications in the database eventually, starting with 100 for the first 2 years or so. In this case we would want a SQL database, correct? What size database should we estimate for this amount of apps?
2. Conflict Checker: In the same case, what kind of resources will the Conflict checker require on the SQL server? We have a shared SQL server that runs our intranet. Will the conflict checker slow down the shared server when running?
3. Conflict Checker: How long does a conflict check run? Is there a ratio of time per application?
4. Future Upgrades: Will the "AMF tracking system" in 4.0 require any databases? If so, what should we plan for?
(1) Reply
I would find it difficult to answer your questions as they relate to the next release of AdminStudio. We are or more precisely have made many substantial changes to the next release of ConflictSolver which would make comparisons with the current release difficult. I would encourage you to contact our Sales team for more specific information about the next release of AdminStudio.

I would answer your more specific questions by saying:

SQL Server is preferred database for any production environment especially if you are already familiar with the environment. The size of the database would vary greatly based upon the size of the packages. For AdminStudio v3.5, I would estimate a good average of 200KB per application.

While operating ConflictSolver will make a number of light-weight read only queries to the database which should not be noticeable by other users. When checking conflicts or importing packages, ConflictSolver will make more intensive use of the database which may effect your other users.

The time required to perform a conflict check will depend greatly on the number of packages being checked and the number of ACEs being used. Under the situation you outlined, I cannot imagine the conflict checking taking more than a minute.

Allen Saxton
AdminStudio Development