cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AdminStudio does not recognise InstallShield MSI as one.

Folks,

I must admit I am new to this packaging game, I've been playing with ORCA for a little while but I now need to do a lot more. One particular rogue package I am sure is an InstallShield MSI, I was expecting that the repackager within AS would detect it as one and launch the conversion. Alas it doesn't and simply reports "The current setup is an MSI setup..." (this occurs whether I use the Install Monitoring or indeed the reccomended single-step snapshot).

I believe the MSI to be an InstallShield MSI since it exhibits the following traits, if there is any other way of identifying an IS MSI I would love to know!:

1. You have to run a setup.exe to make it install
2. There is an msi in the same install folder but if you run it it demands that you first install the requisite isscript.msi from the install folder.
3. If you look at the msi in 'Customize' and look at the 'summary Information Stream' the author is 'InstallShield Software Corporation'. So it looks to have been developed using InstallShield.

Is there any way of forcing the conversion? I honestly don't think that in it's current state it's ready for deployment. I remember trying to deploy it to a few dozen users in the past in this MSI form and the vast majority failed. I pinned this to those clients not having the requisite ISScript.msi installed to work with this msi. Certainly can't push this out to several hundred people.

Any help much appreciated, still running on a trial at the moment and am totally stumped until I can get this thing coverted!

Tom :confused:
(21) Replies
Your InstallScript MSI program that your deploying should also come with a setup.exe that is capable of doing the chaining for you.

BTW- If your pushing as SYSTEM, make sure you test the scenario where a non-privledged user is logged on. You'll see a bunch of threads from me here where we talk about DCOM Impersonation problems with ISScript.MSI.
The way that has fixed this for most of us is to make sure we set ALLUSERS=1 and modify the AppID for the IDriverInstance to runas the Launching User instead of the Interactive User. InstallShield has yet to incorporate this into a release.