cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A SIMPLE question - launch already installed executable (Outlook)

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi all,

I'm sorry to bother everyone with a seemingly simple question but this is really kicking my butt.

I need my .msi to launch Outlook just before it completes. I have tried the custom action vbscript using commit action and it fails saying the script could not be run. Here is the script:

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run """c:\program files\Microsoft Office\Office10\outlook.exe"""
WshShell.AppActivate """c:\program files\Microsoft Office\Office10\outlook.exe"""

Wscript.Quit

I have also tried using the launch .exe custom action, but it also fails saying it can't find the file. Here is what I added to the directory table:

Directory Directory Parent Default Dir
MSOFFICE ProgramFilesFolder MICROS~1|Microsoft Office
OFF10 MSOFFICE OFFICE~1|Office10

Using this method, I specified OFF10 as the source for the file.

Can someone please tell me how I can make this work? I just need the .msi to launch Outlook before it completes. All of the target machines will have outlook.exe in the same location:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Outlook.exe

Thanks,
Trent
(8) Replies
THe easiest way to do this would be to create an new executable custom action of type Path Referencing a Directory. The directory value would be [ProgramFilesFolder] and the command line would be "Microsoft Office\Office10\Outlook.exe". This should take care of it for you.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I did exactly as you said. I did a custom action executable with synchronous (wait for execution). I set it to start in ProgramFilesFolder. The command line was:

"Microsoft Office\Office10\Outlook.exe"

(with quotes)
The command line is definetly valid and executable on the target machine. To test this I opened a command prompt, cd'd into C:\Program files and at the prompt, typed the above command, which worked, i.e., Outlook started.

C:\Program Files>"Microsoft Office\Office10\Outlook.exe"

Unfortunately the .msi still fails with error 1721. Here is the error message:

Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your upport personnel or package vendor.

This is really frustrating, because I know the program is in place.

Thanks,
Trent
We can try one last thing. Instead of just specifying "Microsoft Office\Office10\Outlook.exe" let's try specifying the entire command line. Please put "[ProgramFilesFolder]Office\Office10\Outlook.exe" in the command line section. Please see if this works correctly or not. If it does not we could also launch command.exe and give it the same command line and that should work also.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Thanks for the quick reply, will try now.

-Trent
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Excellent! Thanks alot!

Installshield = magic!

-Trent
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi Trent,

I am having a similiar issue with launching outlook as you had previously.

I was wondering if you ever had a problem where outlook would launch but just freeze at the splash screen? In 1 case it loaded after a few minutes of waiting , but for all other tests it sits there for ever.

thanks
James
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I don't know what the cause is, but I believe it resolved itself in around 3 minutes. WAY too long in user time.

I wanted to know what method you are using to launch outlook? I used a vbscript that was streamed into a custom action.

-Trent
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Hi Trent,

I have tried the following methods.

1. custom action -> exe -> Path referencing a directory
result : slow launch (3+mins or longer)

2. custom action -> exe -> Path in property value
result : slow launch (3+mins or longer) (value in property set by a "systemsearch" for outlook.exe)

3. custom action -> vbs -> stored in custom action
result : slow launch (3+mins or longer)

I tried the vbs script you posted earlier in this thread and somehow got it to work. With the same problem. Script runs fine if run independantly of installshield.

Can you post the vb script you used?

thanks
James