cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with InstallShield 2022 integration with Visual Studio 2022 version 17.4

Issue with InstallShield 2022 integration with Visual Studio 2022 version 17.4

Summary

InstallShield 2022 - Visual Studio 2022 17.4 integration throws an error while closing the solution or while closing the Visual Studio IDE. We have observed this unexpected behavior in the Visual Studio 2022 17.4 integration and started discussion with Visual Studio Team.

Impacted InstallShield Versions, Editions

InstallShield 2022, all editions

Description

We have noticed the below issues with Visual Studio 2022 version 17.4

• Visual Studio 2022 doesn't allow the user to close the InstallShield project, or the Visual Studio IDE if opened with an InstallShield Project.
  • Visual Studio 2022 doesn't allow the user to create new InstallShield project for the second time.

Revenera engineering team is working with the Visual Studio team on this. This issue is reported to Microsoft Visual Studio team and can be tracked here - Visual Studio Feedback.

Visual Studio Engineering Team has accepted the reported problems and agreed to fix it in Visual Studio 17.4 version itself. Reference link to the Visual Studio Team update.

Resolution

This problem has been fixed in Visual Studio 2022 - 17.4.4 version.

Workaround

InstallShield 2022 integration works fine till Visual Studio 2022 LTSC 17.2 – Version 17.2.10.  As a work around, continue using Visual Studio 2022 LTSC 17.2.10 version for InstallShield 2022 integration till the issue is resolved from Visual Studio Engineering Team.

References

1.  VSIP integration is failing to create the project in Visual Studio 2022 17.4.1 - Visual Studio Feedback
  2. https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/t/VSIP-integration-is-failing-to-create-th/10205638#T-N10215652
Was this article helpful? Yes No
No ratings
Comments

This is still an issue in the 17.4.3 version released December 13th.

This is getting to be a major hassle and it would be nice to get an update on when we can expect this to be fixed.

Looks like this has been fixed in the recent 17.4.4 update.

Hi @thj_itrelation 

Yes you are correct, We have tested and confirming that in latest VS2022 version 17.4.4 with IS2022 we are able to create a new project and able to close and reopen and modify the project without any issues,

and able to build the project and tested the resulting setup.exe able to install without any issues.

And able to create a new project again without any issues.

Regards,

Vijay.A

Hi,

When opening an existing Visual Studio Solution which has an InstallShield project in it, it says the InstallShield project is not loaded. When I try to load the project my Visual Studio crashes and restarts.

I am using Visual Studio 17.4.4 and InstallShield 2022 R2. I am able to open the InstallShield project with the InstallShield app itself.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

I was able to open this project in Visual Studio on a different machine with Visual Studio 2019 and InstallShield 2021.

Thanks,

André

Hi @iris_andre 

Could you please confirm your project type(Basic MIS or installscript MSI or installscript), If you are using installscript project we dont support InstallScript projects in IS 2022.

If you are Project type is other then installscript then, In order to open Installshield projects in VS 2022, You need to open the visual studio 2022 in administrator mode in the very first time.

Version history
Last update:
‎Jan 23, 2023 12:52 AM
Updated by:
Contributors