cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fredliu
Level 5

shared and never overwirte cannot work

Hi all,

It is so pain after i come across this issus.I have two versions of a product,one is commerical version and another is trial version.They share a merge module, all components property "shared" and "overwrite" in merge module is set to "Yes".
After i install both version in a clean mahcine, both version can work normally as expected,but when uninstall , there is a curious issus. if i install commercial version first, i cannot uninstall it firstly, if i do ,it will get a error "a file in merge module is used by other application",but if i uninstall trial version firstly,there have no any error, and the result is same if i install trial version firstly.(I cannot uninstall trial version firstly).I think if all components property "shared" and "overwrite" in merge module is set to "Yes", it should be not get the error,is it right?
Anyone can give me some advise? Any advise will be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Fred
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
sjimmerson
Level 3

Would you really want the commercial and trial version installed on the same system at the same time? Maybe I am misunderstanding your question, but I wouldn't think you would want to install the trial if the commercial version is installed. If the trial is installed and a user upgrades to the commercial version I would expect the trial version to be removed.

As to your question. You only need to set shared to Yes if the files in the component are installed by an installer other than Windows Installer. In other words, Windows Installer handles file sharing for components with the same component ID. The shared setting is available for compatibility with other installation tools. I think the message you are receiving is because you have this component marked as shared (this message should only be a warning and shouldn't prevent you from continuing the uninstall). When you refer to the "overwrite" property I assume you mean the "never overwrite" property. Typically you should leave the "never overwrite" property set to "No" especially if the component contains versioned files. Even if the component contains non-versioned files you typically wouldn't set this property to "Yes". Why did you set this property to "Yes"?
0 Kudos
fredliu
Level 5

Hi sjimmerson,
some of our custom need to install both version(commerical and trial),so this is the reason of this issus exist.

actually, comercial version and trial version share a merge module, and the merge module is a mysql server, if i firstly install commercial version, then mysql server is installed, after i install trial version,the mysql server is not installed, and share mysql server which is installed with commercial version.so when i uninstall commercial version, the installer will try to uninstall mysql server, then will get a error "a table in mysq server is using by other progress", and i cannot uninstall continue.It is the same result if i install trial version firstly.

so can you please give some advise about this.
thanks in advance
Fred
0 Kudos
sjimmerson
Level 3

I have not installed or worked with MySQL. Hopefully someone that has can be of more help to you.
0 Kudos