cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barnettsab
Level 3

Application Upgrade Fails

I've created an MSI which has been distributed to several PCs using SMS. This worked fine and the app installed without error. I now need to distribute a minor upgrade and am failing miserably.

Because it is a minor upgrade, I changed the version number in the project from 3.1.0.1 to 3.1.0.2 an changed the Package Code. I did NOT change the product code or the upgrade code.

I then recompiled the install and passed it to the SMS team. They pushed it out, but are reporting that it is failing.

As best I can tell, it's complaining that the package is already installed and needs to be uninstalled. I had thought that changing the version and package codes would allow the msi to update in place. Is that not the case?

When I've done this interactively, I've used the setup.exe and command line options to run the install and it works fine. However, this is SMS and I'm told that I can't give them a setup.exe but must provide just the msi. I know less about SMS than I do msi, so can't argue the point.

Any suggestions as to how I move forward with this.

Have to add, I picked this up as one of those 'toxic' projects that no one else wanted and have very little experience in MSI (and not sure how to get it).

Many thanks
Steve

P.S.
I had InstallShield generate the pdf for me but that makes no difference and the SMS guys have used the function to "read the msi" to extract the product code and that doesn't work either.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Windows Installer doesn't really recognize the fourth field of a product version, as discussed in the following thead:
http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=190732

Moving from 3.1.0.1 to 3.1.0.2 would be a small update, not a minor upgrade. Consider changing the product version to something like 3.1.1.1, and see if that resolves the problem.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
barnettsab
Level 3

That's massively useful. I'll go rebuild and try again without the ".0" in the way.

Thanks
Steve
0 Kudos
barnettsab
Level 3

DebbieL wrote:
Consider changing the product version to something like 3.1.1.1, and see if that resolves the problem.

Thanks for the pointer... it worked! Seems I had done everything right except the version number. I've now upgraded without any probems using SMS.

Many thanks for sorting me out.
Steve
0 Kudos