cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VivekN
Level 2

"Another version of the product....... use Add/Remove.. " message on Windows 7

Hello All,

When installing a newer version of the software i get the error message "Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove programs on the control panel"

I am using Installshield 2010 and its a BasicMSI project. The error message is expected behaviour.

I have the following questins and looking from some input from this fourm.
1) Is this messgae is shown by the Windows Installer enginer.
2) Is this part of the default functionality that IS adds to my BasicMSI project.
3) How can change this message, to be inline with Windows 7. There is no more Add/Remove programs in Windows 7, its now called as Program and Features
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Barbara
Level 7

Check the settings of the installationpackage of the newer product. What do you want to install: A major or minor update? Which parameters did you change compared to the older package; ProductVersion, ProductName, PackageCode, ProductCode, UpgradeCode? Did you populate the UpgradeTable?
The behavior of the update package relies on the parameters which you have changed compared to the installed product.

Barbara
0 Kudos