cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xsintill
Level 5

prevent removal of certain features during uninstall

Is it possible to prevent certain features to be removed during uninstall?
or do i have to manipulate the log myself?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
ChandanOmkar
Level 8

What is your project type?
0 Kudos
xsintill
Level 5

sorry for the late reply project is installscript
0 Kudos
ChandanOmkar
Level 8

i mean is it basic msi project or installscript?
0 Kudos
xsintill
Level 5

ChandanOmkar i edited my earlier post since i made a mistake but i guess you responded to the answer from before the edit...anyhow it's an installscript project.
0 Kudos
tenebrae
Level 4

xsintill wrote:
Is it possible to prevent certain features to be removed during uninstall?
or do i have to manipulate the log myself?

I believe that for InstallScript type of project you can only set this at component level, not at feature level, but it should be enough to get desired behavior, shouldn't it?

Regards,

tene
0 Kudos
NamitaB
Level 5

find the feature and give a condition that
NOT Installed AND NOT PATCH
eg. if you want a virtual directory not to be removed then go the the custom ation like "Remove Virtual Direcotry and ..." and sicify the above givencondition. I hope it works..
0 Kudos
tenebrae
Level 4

NamitaB wrote:
find the feature and give a condition that
NOT Installed AND NOT PATCH
eg. if you want a virtual directory not to be removed then go the the custom ation like "Remove Virtual Direcotry and ..." and sicify the above givencondition. I hope it works..

The only case with your advice is that there's no Condition property on Features in InstallScript projects.

Of course, there are no CustomActions on InstallScript projects as well.

Regards,

tene
0 Kudos
Sairen
Level 7

Resurrecting a bit of a dead thread, but how would you do this for a Basic MSI project?

That is, under a particular condition, I'm okay with Features B and C of my product being uninstalled, but Feature A needs to stay.

The suggestion made earlier on this about the feature condition didn't make sense to me, because wouldn't that be evaluated on *install*?

Thanks for any ideas!
0 Kudos
rrinblue22
Level 9

mark the component under Feature A as permanent.
this wouldn't be removed during uninstall.
0 Kudos
Sairen
Level 7

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't want the feature (and its components) to NEVER be uninstalled. It needs to be on a conditional basis. If THIS is the case, prevent the uninstallation of feature A. If THAT is the case, proceed with the uninstallation of feature A.

Any ideas for that scenario?
0 Kudos