cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
selwynreynolds
Level 7

accessing file in SupportDir/Advanced Files/Disk1

I would like to copy a file located in Disk1 of Support Dir / Advanced Files to TARGET DIR when my installation is complete. I can't find how to reference the file. If I just use SUPPORTDIR FindFile does not find the file to copy.
Any idea how I can reference that one file? :confused:

Thanks, Sel
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
gridman
Level 8

Files placed in one of the Support Files folders, are copied to the target system and used only during the installation process. The files are removed from the target system when the installation is complete.

What project type are you using. Basic MSI, InstallScript?

The Disk1 files will be placed on Disk1 of your installation media. If you just have one disk, then they will be in the root folder of the disk.

If when the file get's installed during the installation process is not important, you can just put the file into a component AND in the Disk1 folder. Because it's in a component, it will be copied to the user's hard drive (in the folder you specify), but also be available on Disk 1 of the installation media. This works reliably. I've done it a million times.

I suppose the question is do you have to copy the file after the main installation completes? Is that a requirement?
0 Kudos
sternr
Level 4

This isnt quite right...
I dont know why exactly, but the files under "Support Files\Disk1" are NEVER extracted to the client's machine. use SupportFiles\LanguageIndependent instead - they'r extracted nicely to the SUPPORTDIR.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Right, the Support Files/Disk1 folder is for files you want on the first disk image but not automatically installed or decompressed anywhere. Please see the help topic "Adding Files and Folders to the Disk1 Folder", along with the other Support Files view topics...
0 Kudos
selwynreynolds
Level 7

Hi,

Yes, it is a requirement for the file to be copied after the installation. I did not add it as a component or as a Support File for that reason. I may need the user to modify this file before running the install. I put it in Advance Files\Disk 1 so it would be visible to the user in the folder with setup.exe. I read the Adding Files and Folders to the Disk 1 folder but did not see anything that would help me know how to reference tha file to copy it after the installation. Please let me know if I am not giving enough information.

Thanks so much for your replies!
0 Kudos
DanielStack
Level 2

sreynolds wrote:
Hi,

Yes, it is a requirement for the file to be copied after the installation. I did not add it as a component or as a Support File for that reason. I may need the user to modify this file before running the install. I put it in Advance Files\Disk 1 so it would be visible to the user in the folder with setup.exe. I read the Adding Files and Folders to the Disk 1 folder but did not see anything that would help me know how to reference tha file to copy it after the installation. Please let me know if I am not giving enough information.

Thanks so much for your replies!

Did you ever get an answer to your question? I am trying to do the same thing and cannot find out how to properly reference the files on "Disk 1".
0 Kudos
selwynreynolds
Level 7

Sorry this late - did you ever find out how to access file on Disk 1? I just used the filename without a path as the install is running from that same directory (ie. setup.exe is in the same directory as the files on Disk1).
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

For MSI type projects, during first time install, the SourceDir property (for uncompressed setups) should point to the Disk1 path. InstallScript projects should be able to reference the SRCDIR variable.
0 Kudos
Guido_Herrling
Level 3

Even this article is very old. I found it as first match. Since I have a solution which may fit I'll post it here as response.

There is the property SETUPEXEDIR, which could be used for that. (Only available for Basic MSI and InstallScript MSI)

0 Kudos
Dan_Galender
Level 10

Files placed in the Support Files\Advanced Files\Disk 1 view live uncompressed in the same folder as Setup.exe or .MSI file.  Which project type are you using?

0 Kudos