Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fletch
Level 3

The good 'ol Mapped Network Drives issue

Jump to solution

Greetings all,

I have an InstallShield project which lets a user choose where to find specific files needed for the app. Unfortunately, InstallShield doesn't see mapped network drives due to the documented issue with UAC.

I know that the answer is to create a Registry Key (EnableLinkedConnections) in the appropriate place; however, I'm trying without success to do this within the install so that change is seen immediately. With this issue being around for so long, I'm guessing a solution has been found to address this, but I've not found it (or I'm missing something obvious).

How should I handle this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @Fletch 

If you want to achieve the same using the installer, you can write your own customaction to set the registry value and then set this action to any button in your dialogs,

EX: Add you action to NEXT button on welcome dialog, so that when user clicks on NEXT button in welcome dialog, your customaction should verify the registry value and if the value is not proper then your script should set proper value.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(5) Replies
edwinamsler
Level 2

Hey Fletch,

I'm rarely here so I may not see a follow-up but this is a fundamental security feature of Windows and as you seem to be aware has been around since Vista fifteen years ago. We have the same problem and I explain to customers that this is a known issue and have them try starting Notepad as an administrator to show them it's not a problem with our installer.

Your options are to have the changes to the network path happen in the app if possible instead or just have it be a documented issue.

Regards,

Edwin

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator
0 Kudos

Hi Varul,

I understand that I need to make the registry change in order to allow users to see mapped network drives.  However, my problem is that I need for Installshield itself to see the mapped network drives during the install process.  The user needs to be able to choose where certain files are located in a network environment.  So, that registry key value needs to be set before the user gets to that point.  

My question is, how do I do this within InstallShield?

Thank you!

Fletch

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi @Fletch 

If you want to achieve the same using the installer, you can write your own customaction to set the registry value and then set this action to any button in your dialogs,

EX: Add you action to NEXT button on welcome dialog, so that when user clicks on NEXT button in welcome dialog, your customaction should verify the registry value and if the value is not proper then your script should set proper value.

0 Kudos
Fletch
Level 3

Thanks to all!  @varul  had the best answer for me.  I created a custom action, and set it to run at the appropriate time.  Voila!  problem solved.

0 Kudos