Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CharlesV
Level 2

SigningHelper: error 0x800b0003 while attempting to sign file

Jump to solution

Hello,

I upgraded from version 2016 to 2020 r2 to generate .msix package.

I followed this procedure https://www.revenera.com/blog/software-installation/its-time-to-start-your-msix-journey-microsoft-announcement/  and I get this error:

Started signing 'C:\Path\to\my\application\MyApplication.msix' ...
SigningHelper: error 0x800b0003 while attempting to sign file
ISDEV : error -1027: Failed to sign MSIX app package 'C:\Path\to\my\application\MyApplication.msix'

The setup.exe is correctly signed.

Any ideas why InstallShield can not sign my .msix package?

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @CharlesV ,

The error you get goes for:

Thanks,

Jenifer

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @CharlesV ,

The error you get goes for:

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Hello Jenifer,

I am having the same problem.  

I have a Basic MSI type of project, and when I build, my MSI gets signed correctly, but error 0x800b0003 occurs when attempting to sign the MSIX file.

I am using the signtool.exe from the Windows SDK 10.0.18362.0 (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.18362.0\x86\signtool.exe).

If I attempt to use the signtool and manually sign the MSIX using the command

<pathToSigntool> sign /fd SHA256 /a /f  <pathToPFX> /p <password> <pathToMSIX>  I get the error:  SignTool Error: This file format cannot be signed because it is not recognized.

Please advise.

Octavio M

0 Kudos

I forgot to mention that I am using InstallShield 2020 R1.

Octavio M

0 Kudos

Hi @OctavioMercado ,

Does the publisher in your package match your subject name of the signing certificate?

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Hello Jenifer, 

The publisher in my project does match the Signer Information, as shown in the attached files.

In my release, I have a Postbuild Event, in which language transforms are embedded within the MSI.  After embedding the MSTs, I manually sign the MSI. 

I noticed that the MSIX conversion starts, it decompresses the package into a directory as "C:\TMP\AS\<#>\, and under subdirecory "a" I see the uncompressed MSI.  If I right click the MSI to see its properties, it does NOT have a digital signature.   

1.  Could the Postbuild Event be causing the error during signing?

2.  During the MSIX conversion, is it expected for the uncompressed MSI to NOT have a digital signature?

I appreciate your help.

Octavio M

0 Kudos