cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RiaanGouws
Level 3

Shortcut to a web page in IIS

Hi

My installation program installs a web application in IIS. I would like to create a shortcut to the default.aspx page and put it in the start menu.

I can for the life of me not figure out how to do it in the installshield shortcut UI.

Please help!

Riaan
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Ajay_Ladsaria
Level 7

Windows Installer does not have native support for Internet shortcuts, and for this reason, there isn't a good way of creating one in the InstallShield Shortcuts view.

Instead you should consider either including the Internet Shortcut URL file as a raw file or using the Ini File Changes view to create an Internet Shortcut.

Here is a KB article that should be helpful:

Q105380: INFO: Creating an Internet Shortcut
http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalID=Q105380
0 Kudos
RiaanGouws
Level 3

Your advise on how to create an internet shortcut worked like a charm ,thank you very much.

However, it has created a new issue. I use the INI file method to create the shortcuts - work great, but the shortcut files are locked after the installation completes. Doing an uninstallation fails to remove the newly created shortcut files. When I try to manually delete them afterwards, it says file is being locked by another process.

The issue is that I cannot relaunch the installation as it will fail when trying to write the shortcuts. The only solution is to reboot after an install to fix this.

Any advise?

Riaan
0 Kudos
timhodgson
Level 3

The referenced KB article does not help. It doesn't walk you through step-by-step on how to get a shortcut to a URL.

Ajay Ladsaria wrote:
Windows Installer does not have native support for Internet shortcuts, and for this reason, there isn't a good way of creating one in the InstallShield Shortcuts view.

Instead you should consider either including the Internet Shortcut URL file as a raw file or using the Ini File Changes view to create an Internet Shortcut.

Here is a KB article that should be helpful:

Q105380: INFO: Creating an Internet Shortcut
http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalID=Q105380
0 Kudos
palanisamy
Level 7

There is another work around available in installshield to create WEB Application shortcut,

1.) Create Non-Advertized Shortcut
2.) In Target Coloumn set the "[IEPAth]IEXPLORE.EXE"
3.) In Argument coloumn set "www.sample.com/default.aspx"
0 Kudos