cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danwize
Level 4

Uninstall remove everything but shortcuts

How do you get the uninstall to remove shortcuts? It removes the rest of the installation files just fine.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
manomatt
Level 8

Try to use a CustumAction to remove the shortcut folder if install shield is not taking care of it.
0 Kudos
LeoSun
Level 2

Hi,

May I know how u have created shortcuts.right now I am working on those....I have written a script to add my app to startup folder and remove the app at uninstallation time also.
0 Kudos
electrobins
Level 3

I would advise you to check if you have declared the component consisting the file (to whom your shortcut is pointing to) as SHARED. You can verify that by looking under Components View. Declaring a component SHARED will leave it's key file at the system even after uninstall and if the file is still there, corresponding shortcut will not be removed.
In short, make all the components as NOT-SHARED if no other application is sharing that component. By default it comes as SHARED in IS2011.
Let us know if this works, good luck. 🙂
0 Kudos
danwize
Level 4

The project I'm working on was created by importing an already existing msi installer that I inherited, it seems it is full of problems, so instead of trying to make that one work I'm creating a new installer from scratch. The one I made does remove the shortcuts correctly. Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
danwize
Level 4

LeoSun wrote:
Hi,

May I know how u have created shortcuts.right now I am working on those....I have written a script to add my app to startup folder and remove the app at uninstallation time also.


To create the shortcuts, I just used the project assistant. I'm working on a basic MSI project. all you have to do is click the check mark that says create shortcut in Start Menu and create shortcut on Desktop. InstallShield takes care of the rest.
0 Kudos
danwize
Level 4

electrobins wrote:
I would advise you to check if you have declared the component consisting the file (to whom your shortcut is pointing to) as SHARED. You can verify that by looking under Components View. Declaring a component SHARED will leave it's key file at the system even after uninstall and if the file is still there, corresponding shortcut will not be removed.
In short, make all the components as NOT-SHARED if no other application is sharing that component. By default it comes as SHARED in IS2011.
Let us know if this works, good luck. 🙂


I decided to try what you suggested. I marked everything as not shared, but I the shortcuts are still not being removed. Any other thoughts?
0 Kudos
electrobins
Level 3

You will have to remove that shortcut once manually and then install & uninstall after making these components NOT SHARED. Existing shortcut you see are left from the last installer.


danwize wrote:
I decided to try what you suggested. I marked everything as not shared, but I the shortcuts are still not being removed. Any other thoughts?
0 Kudos
brendadhk
Level 2

Hello,

I am working with InstallShield 2011Premier Edition creating two different installers. My problem is that the Shortcuts are not removed when I install both applications.

1. I already checked that my components are not shared.

2. I checked in the Icon table and the names are ok. It looks like this.

Name:
Shortcut1_5ECBEE5FE6644F6CB3793D7B12D482BC.exe
Data:
[Binary Data]
SourcePath:
\programfiles\A.ICO
IconIndex:
0

3. In the Shortcut table the things look like this.
Shortcut:
NewShortcut1
Directory:
Shortcuts
Name:
~1|A
Component:
Files
Target:
[INSTALLDIR]A.exe
Arguments:
Description:
A
Icon:
NewShortcut1_5ECBEE5FE6644F6CB3793D7B12D482BC.exe
IconIndex:
0
ShowCmd:
3
WkDir:
INSTALLDIR


4. Maybe to force it to be removed, I add the entries in the RemoveFile table.
FileKey:
NewShortcut1
Component:
Files
FileName:
DirProperty:
Shortcuts
InsdtallMode:
2

If I install just A the shortcuts and files are removed OK. But if I install A then B(which is another software built in InstallShield as well) and then removed just A the shortcuts remian :S. Any suggestion to solve my problem?? I would really appreciate it.
0 Kudos