cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kilcarman
Level 4

Setup command line option "/verbose" missing in Installshield 2008

Hi
The setup.exe command line option "/verbose" used to get info on installation errors in earlier versions appears to have gone in Installshield 2008. Does anyone know if this has been replaced or if anyone has used it in 2008 can they tell me how?
I am referring specifically to InstallScript projects.
Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
kdelloyd
Level 3

The /verbose command-line option to setup.exe was to log information about the installation of the InstallScript Engine. The architecture changes beginning with IS 12 and above no longer rely on that component.

See Robert's excellent sticky article Sticky: Migrating Projects from pre-InstallShield 12 at the top of the forum for more information - specifically the HOWTO: Upgrading Projects to InstallShield 12

Hope that helps!
0 Kudos
kilcarman
Level 4

Thanks.

However, I am still wondering how then I can extract some logging from the installation in general. I am more familiar with msi based installs where I have been able to generate very verbose msi logging. However, now I would like to get at least some logging from an Installscript based install.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

The /verbose option is specific to InstallScript MSI projects and does not actually output any installscript engine behaviors at all. Instead, it combines the multiple log files that are generated in to a single log file during each invocation of the MSI engine (of which there are at least 3 per InstallScript MSI instance).

Other project types have different methods of logging and I wouldn't necessarily reccomend using the /verbose option.
0 Kudos
kilcarman
Level 4

Can you recommend a logging method for the Installscript project type? (ideally an option that could be turned on or off with a setup.exe switch for the purpose of debugging install issues in my own environment). Is there perhaps such a thing as a registry flag which can be set as in MSI?
0 Kudos
nicoeschpiko
Level 3

We want verbose logging. That's why we're asking this question.
0 Kudos
RosBurge
Level 2

kilcarman wrote:
Hi
The setup.exe command line option "/verbose" used to get info on installation errors in earlier versions appears to have gone in Installshield 2008. Does anyone know if this has been replaced or if anyone has used it in 2008 can they tell me how?
I am referring specifically to InstallScript projects.
Thanks.

I don't know if this will help but I am using the following to obtain verbose logging:
Setup.exe /v"/Lv \”c:\LogFolder\project.log\””
This passes the logging request through the setup.exe to the MsiExec.exe command-line.
Sorry, I release this only applies to Installscript MSI and Basic MSI. (I was using /verbose with Installscript MSI and looking for the alternative, this may help someone!)
0 Kudos
victorcamp
Level 3

I'm not sure if this will be of any help, but I've noticed that the logging command line options don't seem to be exactly as documented. Though I'm using Express, these should still apply.

With Setup.exe:
setup.exe /v"/l*vx \"C:\MyDirectory\My_Install.log\""
The quotes must be exactly as shown, since Setup.exe feeds it through to the Microsoft Installer.

Within Setup.ini:
CmdLine=/l*vx C:\My_Install.log
Here there are no quotes, since it's being fed directly to the Microsoft installer.
0 Kudos
Sairen
Level 7

I, too, am very new to the InstallScript world, having become accustomed to the Basic MSI way of doing things.

Can someone please follow up on this message - how do we verbosely log an InstallScript installation?

Of additional interest would be how to add information to this log file - something like a SprintfMsiLog for the InstallScript world.

Thank you!!
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

As afr as I kn ow there isn't (and never has been) built in logging functionality for pure InstallScript projects. You would need to write your own script code for this purpose.
There are some samples at http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/isp_misc.htm in paragraph "Log Results of Function Calls"
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos