cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

Setting a property with a substing of a value retreived from the registry...

Hi there,

I think there might be a way to do this outside of adding a custom action widget to grab a substring, but what I'm trying to do is grab a value from the registry. I need to basically truncate that value for a PROPERTY value.

The registry value holds a path to a file, but I only need the value to the parent directory. The third party app installation I'm working with doesn't write the install location to the registry, but his file path would get me there.

The value would look like this...

C:\Program Files\Third Party App\Folder\File.ico. I need to chop off File.ico. Is there a slick way of doing this in InstallShield. I don't think I'll be able to do it in System Search as I can only assign it to a property. I'm guessing I would have to add a Set Directory custom action and I'm hoping there I can do some magic.

Any help appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
gbaltazar
Level 6

I suggest you take a look at the StrSub function. You would have to figure out the start and end indexes (assuming the filename you are removing is of constant length) but it would give you the value you would want.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

gbaltazar wrote:
I suggest you take a look at the StrSub function. You would have to figure out the start and end indexes (assuming the filename you are removing is of constant length) but it would give you the value you would want.

I just ended up creating a custom action to accomplish the string parsing work.
0 Kudos