cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MattQVI
Level 8

RE: When selecting a custom feature during the install I need to disable options

I have an issue with a basic MSI install created in InstallShield 2011 pro. The two features are not installed by default, but when I select one of them the only options I want are install and not installed. This should be possible.

Would removing the strings from String Editor remove the (install) custom options? I don't need to see things like FeatureInstalledNetwork, FeatureInstalledNetwork2, FeatureInstalledLocal, FeatureINstalledCD, FeatureInstalledCD2, FeatureInstalledWhenRequired or FeatureInstalledWhenRequired2.

I thought I could just set a Visible property to false and be done with it but there doesn't seem to be any easy way to do this.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

If I understand your requirement correctly, I don't think that Windows Installer makes it possible. The following tip (PDF) has more information:
http://www.flexerasoftware.com/webdocuments/PDF/0102_customsetup.pdf
0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

Thanks Debbie. From reading that white paper, it sounds like what I want might not be possible.

BTW, I had no idea that those options were controlled by the Windows Installer. Any chance that 5.0 (Win 7) is better?

Along that line, how do I set up my install to use Windows Installer 5.0 for InstallShield 2011 instead of 4.5? There is a prerequisite for the latter but not the former.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Microsoft didn't make any changes in the feature area in Windows Installer 5. So, you'll see the same behavior on systems that have Windows Installer 5.

They also have not released a redistributable for Windows Installer 5. For more information, see Windows Installer Redistributables.
0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

Debbie,

Yes, it appears that there is no redistributable for 5.0. However, is it true that it comes along for the ride in Windows 7? Meaning that I don't have to specify 4.5 for Windows XP SP3 + as a prerequisite and it just works when installing on a Windows 7 PC.

TIA.

Matt
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 were shipped with Windows Installer 5.

Windows XP SP3 included Windows Installer 3.1.

For more information on which versions of Windows Installer were shipped on which versions of Windows, see Released Versions of Windows Installer.
0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

Debbie,

Thank you for the information, however it still didn't answer my question.

InstallShield 2012 Pro has a built-in prerequisite for Windows Installer 4.5 for Windows XP SP 3 and up (Windows 7 is a case for "and up"). I am wondering that if my install is only going on Windows 7 boxes could I skip 4.5 because 5.0 comes "along for the ride" so to speak and can automatically be used where needed.

Thank you for your time.

Matt
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Windows Installer 4.5 cannot be installed on Windows 7 systems because a newer version of Windows Installer (version 5) is already present. The Windows Installer 4.5 prerequisites that are included in InstallShield are not launched on Windows 7 systems. (The "and later" part of the name of the prerequisite is misleading. Sorry for the confusion!)

So, if you are creating an installation that will be run only on Windows 7 systems, you will want to avoid including the Windows Installer 4.5 prerequisites in your installation. (They wouldn't ever be used during your installation.)
0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

Debbie,

I checked the prerequisite for 4.5 for Windows XP SP 3 and up and it definitely has a condition for only running on Windows XP. However, I am seeing a (install) setup screen that says configuring Windows Installer. So maybe 5 IS coming along for the ride?

Thanks.

Matt
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Ah, sorry for the confusion. No, that looks like the standard run-time dialog that Setup.exe displays during initialization, a standard phase in the Setup.exe dialogs. During initialization, the setup performs steps such as extracting files, checking the target system for prerequisite requirements, and so on.

As for the idea of 5 coming along for the ride, that's not possible, since there are no redistributables available for anything newer than Windows Installer 4.5.
0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

Debbie,

It's a little misleading then... it's not actually configuring the Windows Installer. Just assumed that is what it meant.

Good to know. Thank you for your assistance. Have a great day.

Matt
0 Kudos