cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ichbindak
Level 4

Problem when launching exe after installation

Hi, i have a problem:
I want to start a .exe after Installation (with Basic MSI Project). The .exe is a compiled batch. There is always created a .tmp in the .exe's directory. But this .tmp is created in the mysetup.exe's directory. It seems, that the setup is not starting the exe from the destination folder.

Can anyone help me?

P.s.: Is it possible, to set the files which should be launched after installation somewhere in Installation Designer not only in the Project Assistant?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
achal009
Level 4

use the LaunchAppAndWait custom action to call the executable
since u need to launch it after the installation completes shedule it in execute sequence and as a commit type custom action.
0 Kudos
crewsr
Level 3

I'm having the same problem; the 'built in' launch executable checkbox option doesn't seem to let me specify the working directory of the application that was installed. Since the working directory doesn't get set, the executable can't find the support files and fails. Launching the executable from the shortcuts that I create works as expected.
0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

crewsr wrote:
I'm having the same problem; the 'built in' launch executable checkbox option doesn't seem to let me specify the working directory of the application that was installed. Since the working directory doesn't get set, the executable can't find the support files and fails. Launching the executable from the shortcuts that I create works as expected.

I am having a similar issue with the embedded launch an application. It seems like it's using the .exe from the InstallShield files and not the one located in the directory where my application was installed.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
0 Kudos
gkriggs
Level 6

I'm also having the same problem; my application can't find its support files and fails. When launching the program after install, is there any way to set the working directory to INSTALLDIR? Another problem I'm having is my WPF application is starting in minimized state which is very annoying.

Starting the application from the shortcut (created by InstallShield) doesn't have either of these problems.
0 Kudos