cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reddragon105
Level 3

Predefined folder for PUBLIC Documents?

I'm working on a project that requires the installation of files to the (My) Documents folder. Obviously on Windows 7 this is a library that actually consists of two folders - C:\Users\Public\Documents and C:\Users\Username\Documents

I tried using [PersonalFolder], but that puts files into Username\Documents but my program can not detect them there - it requires them to be installed in the Public\Documents folder.

How can I achieve this? Is there a predefined folder for this? If not, can I create one?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
reddragon105
Level 3

Just answered my own question -

Use the predefined folder [ALLUSERSPROFILE], with a subfolder inside called 'Documents'.

That equates to C:\Users\Public\Documents
0 Kudos
bwertz
Level 2

reddragon105 wrote:
Just answered my own question -

Use the predefined folder [ALLUSERSPROFILE], with a subfolder inside called 'Documents'.

That equates to C:\Users\Public\Documents

I know this is an old post but I hope this response will help someone else.

[ALLUSERSPROFILE] doesn't seem to always equate to "C:\Users\Public". Microsoft states that in post-XP versions of Windows (Vista, 7, 8.1, 10), %ALLUSERSPROFILE% refers to %ProgramData% -- "C:\ProgramData". (https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/mmpc/shared/variables.aspx#allusers)

Even though on some machines [ALLUSERSPROFILE] refers to "C:\Users\Public", it's not always the case.

0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

I thought %ALLUSERSPROFILE% was a Windows environment variable and [ALLUSERSPROFILE] was a predefined folder custom to InstallShield. The latter is working for me. Are you able to use the [ALLUSERSPROFILE] predefined folder?

Going back to look at this in my install, I have a question of why certain predefined folders are greyed out. Is it because they are no longer supported in version 2015? If that is the case, then I have the same issue with copying/installing files to C:\Users\Public\Public Documents.
0 Kudos
vbp0001
Level 4

MattQVI wrote:
I thought %ALLUSERSPROFILE% was a Windows environment variable and [ALLUSERSPROFILE] was a predefined folder custom to InstallShield. The latter is working for me. Are you able to use the [ALLUSERSPROFILE] predefined folder?

Going back to look at this in my install, I have a question of why certain predefined folders are greyed out. Is it because they are no longer supported in version 2015? If that is the case, then I have the same issue with copying/installing files to C:\Users\Public\Public Documents.

I have a InstallScript project which I want some components to be delivered to the Public Documents folder. How do I do that?
0 Kudos