cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alanrickman
Level 4

Passwords & Edit Boxes

Firstly I have an Installscript MSI project in IS2008.

Any dialogs I have with an edit field with Password set to True, rather than an * being used to obscure characters a | is used.

Is there a setting somewhere that controls this? Found the help article "Password control attribute [Windows Installer]" but this suggests that passwords will be obscured with an asterix no mention of |.

Cheers,
Alan
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
m_rudolph
Level 6

For what it's worth, I've found that it varies from computer to computer. Some show the dots, others the lines. I'm assuming that the display properties dictate it, not the installer.
0 Kudos
MGarrett
Level 6

Do all of the machines use the same language and character set? It could be related to the operating system language or system fonts.
0 Kudos
alanrickman
Level 4

Well this has been reported by testers in both the UK and the US on Windows XP and Server 2003.

Don't really know how much difference there is between UK and US language/character set...
0 Kudos
LeighAnne_F
Level 2

I'm experiancing the same issue here in South Africa. I've tried our install on different machines with different operating systems and settings - but still only get the | characters and no *'s :confused:
0 Kudos
m_rudolph
Level 6

I just tested this on a machine that used the pipe "|" character:

hFont = (GetFont ("Tahoma", 8, STYLE_NORMAL));
CtrlSetFont (szDialogName, hFont, RES_PBUT_PASS);

It worked. The dots were smaller than the common window dots you may see though. I'm sure there's a font that could get it exact for what you need though.

I have two custom dialogs that use password fields though, in an InstallScript project; so the resource ID's were available to me to manipulate.
0 Kudos
alanrickman
Level 4

Spot on, that did the trick. Very much appreciated!
0 Kudos