cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PoojaArora
Level 3

Package uninstallation not working on Win ARM64 platform @WinARM

Jump to solution

I am using MSI Template to  uninstall the product with MSI template build on InstallShield Spring2012 version, its throwing  below error and not uninstalling the product

Command: msiexec /x MSI_File.msi

Error: MainEngineThread is returning 1605

I have used a custom action with the In Script Execution as Deferred Execution, as this is suppose to call the DLL file. 

In the template summary I have kept as  Arm64:0 and Schema as 500.

Install Shield version: 2012 Spring

Thanks in advance for the help.

Best Regards,

Pooja @PoojaArora 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Issue is resolved with InstallShield 2020.

Thanks @banna_k  for helping.

Best Regards,

Pooja @PoojaArora 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(11) Replies
banna_k
Revenera
Revenera

Hi @PoojaArora ,

InstallShield officially supports ARM64 based installer from InstallShield 2019 onwards.

So, if you are using InstallShield 2012 and updated the template summary for ARM64. Then see whether the product is displayed in the Add and Remove program after the installation, because the uninstallation says the product is not installed (1605).

ERROR_UNKNOWN_PRODUCT

This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

0 Kudos

Thank you for responding @banna_k 

I am not observing any error while installation, it is only coming in the case when I try to uninstall. The MSI Template is created using InstallShield 2012 only which results in successful installation, then why this error is coming only for uninstallation workflow.

Best Regards,

Pooja @PoojaArora 

0 Kudos

Hi @PoojaArora,

Can you check Add and Remove program entry after the installation, whether any entry specific to your msi installer.  

0 Kudos

Hi @banna_k 

I have checked Add and Remove program entry after the installation, it is showing the installed product entry in the program list.

Best Regards,

Pooja @PoojaArora 

0 Kudos

Hi @banna_k 

We are not able to find our msi entry in the registry at path   

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Best Regards,

Pooja @PoojaArora 

0 Kudos

Hi @PoojaArora,

Can you create and share the msi log for both installation and uninstallation . 

0 Kudos

Hi @banna_k 

I am attaching the install and uninstall log files here.

Best Regards,

Pooja @PoojaArora 

0 Kudos

Hi @PoojaArora ,

According to uninstall log,  windows installer is failing to get the product Code:

MSI (s) (BC:F8) [13:41:11:928]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding PackageCode property. Its value is '{???}'.
MSI (s) (BC:F8) [13:41:11:928]: Product Code passed to Engine.Initialize: ''
MSI (s) (BC:F8) [13:41:11:928]: Product Code from property table before transforms: '{???}'
MSI (s) (BC:F8) [13:41:11:928]: Product Code from property table after transforms: '{???}'

Can you change the template summary to "Intel" or something non ARM and see the msi installs and uninstalls in a non ARM machine, this is to check the msi contents are correct and the problem specific to  ARM template. 

0 Kudos

HI @banna_k 

I think we can ignore this message as this comes in Win64 install and uninstall logs too.

Best Regards,

Pooja @PoojaArora 

0 Kudos

Hi @banna_k 

I have also observed that with MSI template of Win32 bit platform it is working flawlessly on the Win ARM64 platform.

But If I change the MSI template summary as  Arm64:0 and Schema as 500 then uninstallation is failing.

Best Regards,

Pooja @PoojaArora 

0 Kudos

Issue is resolved with InstallShield 2020.

Thanks @banna_k  for helping.

Best Regards,

Pooja @PoojaArora 

0 Kudos